Forum: Ruby on Rails RESTful Authentication Plug Tests

Robert W. (Guest)
Hi all,

Is there a dependency for the RESTful Authentication plugin to make
the test cases pass?  I get a number of errors on a brand new Rails
project with only the RESTful plugin installed.  I've moved the bits
of code around as instructed after running the generator script for
the plugin.

Here's an example:
  1) Error:
test_should_create_user(UserTest):
NoMethodError: undefined method `assert_difference' for #<UserTest:
0x327b73c>
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/
action_controller/test_process.rb:452:in `method_missing'
    ./test/unit/user_test.rb:7:in `test_should_create_user'

Apparently assert_difference/assert_no_difference is not included in
the Rails 1.2.3 framework.
Rick O. (Guest)
On 6/28/07, Robert W. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is there a dependency for the RESTful Authentication plugin to make
> the test cases pass?  I get a number of errors on a brand new Rails
> project with only the RESTful plugin installed.  I've moved the bits
> of code around as instructed after running the generator script for
> the plugin.

It generates an authenticated test helper file that you can include in
your unit tests.  It should be included for you in the test cases that
restful authentication generates:

http://svn.techno-weenie.net/projects/plugins/rest...

--
Rick O.
http://lighthouseapp.com

... robertwalker$ rake test:units
/usr/local/bin/ruby -Ilib:test "/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
rake-0.7.3/lib/rake/rake_test_loader.rb" "test/unit/
user_notifier_test.rb" "test/unit/user_test.rb"
Loaded suite /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.7.3/lib/rake/
rake_test_loader
Started
..E....EEEE...
Finished in 0.091025 seconds.

  1) Error:
test_should_create_user(UserTest):
NoMethodError: undefined method `assert_difference' for #<UserTest:
0x3278424>
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/
action_controller/test_process.rb:452:in `method_missing'
    ./test/unit/user_test.rb:10:in `test_should_create_user'

  2) Error:
test_should_require_email(UserTest):
NoMethodError: undefined method `assert_no_difference' for #<UserTest:
0x327835c>
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/
action_controller/test_process.rb:452:in `method_missing'
    ./test/unit/user_test.rb:38:in `test_should_require_email'

Rick O. (Guest)
On 6/28/07, Robert W. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Thank for you quick reply Rick, however, after further experimentation
> I still get the same failures when running test.  I've also searched
> and dug through all the code I could find and nothing I see implements
> the assert_difference and assert_no_difference methods.  I have
> included all the relevant test output here:

Oh, the plugin was updated for edge just a few days ago.  You can just
use an old revision if you want.

--
Rick O.
http://lighthouseapp.com
http://weblog.techno-weenie.net
http://mephistoblog.com
Keeran H. (Guest)

> Oh, the plugin was updated for edge just a few days ago.  You can just
> use an old revision if you want.

I keep forgetting that a lot of development is going on against Edge -
this problem has tripped me up as well.

Please could you recommend a revision to use against 1.2.3 ?

Many thanks,

Kee
gers32 (Guest)
> Oh, the plugin was updated for edge just a few days ago.  You can just
> use an old revision if you want.

Hello, I've encountered the same problem as Robert. Is reverting back
to an old revision a short-term solution? And if so, does that mean
these two functions will be replaced with something else in the
future? Thanks.
Rick O. (Guest)
> Hello, I've encountered the same problem as Robert. Is reverting back
> to an old revision a short-term solution? And if so, does that mean
> these two functions will be replaced with something else in the
> future? Thanks.

They're in edge rails.

--
Rick O.
http://lighthouseapp.com
http://weblog.techno-weenie.net
http://mephistoblog.com
Kim S. (Guest)
On Jul 18, 2007, at 6:29 AM, Rick O. wrote:

>> Hello, I've encountered the same problem as Robert. Is reverting back
>> to an old revision a short-term solution? And if so, does that mean
>> these two functions will be replaced with something else in the
>> future? Thanks.
>
> They're in edge rails.

I have worked around the problem by picking up the files
activesupport/lib/active_support/core_ext/test.rb and
activesupport/lib/active_support/core_ext/test/difference.rb
from edge rails and placing them in the version 1.2.3 rails
that I am using for my apps.

Kim
--
  Kim S. - principal, Shrier and Deihl -
mailto:removed_email_address@domain.invalid

> I have worked around the problem by picking up the files
> activesupport/lib/active_support/core_ext/test.rb and
> activesupport/lib/active_support/core_ext/test/difference.rb
> from edge rails and placing them in the version 1.2.3 rails
> that I am using for my apps.

This workaround worked nicely for me.