Forum: Ruby on Rails Gem installation Problem / Controller generation problem

Unni K. (Guest)
on 2007-06-28 14:22
I am new to ROR.

I Have ruby and instant rails installed in my system(I am using
Windows). I have created an application 'railslist'
[command i used:-   c:\development\rails railslist  ]

But when I tried to generate a controller
[ c:\development\railslist\ruby script/generate controller App  ] I got
the following error

Cannot find gem for Rails ~>1.2.3.0:
    Install the missing gem with 'gem install -v=1.2.3 rails', or
    change environment.rb to define RAILS_GEM_VERSION with your desired
version.

Actually my gem version is 0.9.2 which i knew using the command 'gem -v'

and i tried 'gem install rails --include-dependencies' too and got
another error as follows

-----------------------
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::RemoteFetcher::FetchError)
    Bad file descriptor - connect(2)(Errno::EBADF)

Dear Unni,

It may be worth it to go and read:

http://www.railsdocumentation.org/getting_started_...

It is a work in progress, but it will help you out with getting
started.

Regards

Mikel

On Jun 28, 8:22 pm, Unni K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
David Garton (Guest)
These are my notes for installing rails, maybe something in there will
help:

  Try:         C:\>gem install rails --include-dependencies
  or:           C:\>gem install rails -remote           (answer "y" to
all five questions)
  If they both fail, download the latest rails.gem file from
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=307
  Install the downloaded gem via the command line:   C:\My
downloads\Ruby project>gem install rails -remote

Mikel <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

Dear Unni,

It may be worth it to go and read:

http://www.railsdocumentation.org/getting_started_...

It is a work in progress, but it will help you out with getting
started.

Regards

Mikel

On Jun 28, 8:22 pm, Unni K.

You probably knew about it, but if you are newbie just like me you
should install InstantRails (unless you want it the "hard" way).
hope it help

On Jun 28, 7:22 am, Unni K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>