Forum: Ruby More Regexp and file load problems

Don L. (Guest)
Hi All,

I am struggling here and would be most appreciative of any help.

I have a regular expression problem I can't seem to figure my way out
of. I had sent a similar request this morning, and gratefully
received two emails from David Black and Axel E.. Unfortunately,
I am still having difficulty.

I am trying to extract the font name attribute  out of the following
xml (this is an excerpt of a larger file). The weird thing, is that
my regular expression correctly matches the text if I use TextMate's
regular expression 'find in project feature' and with the freeware
Reggy regular expression test tool found on Google code. It also
matches correctly, if I text against a subset of the xml being
parsed. I.E., see this first example.

#!/usr/bin/env ruby
#
#  Created by Don L. on 2007-06-26.
#  Copyright (c) 2007. All rights reserved.

string = %q(</TextObj>
</Object>
<ObjectStyle id="0" fontHeight="11" graphicFormat="3843"
fieldBorders="132">
<CharacterStyle mask="16183">
<Font-family codeSet="Roman" fontId="0">Helvetica</Font-family>
<Font-size>9</Font-size>
<Face>256</Face>
<Color>#000000</Color>
</CharacterStyle>")

regexp = Regexp.new(/^\s*<Font-family codeSet=\"\w*\" fontId=\"\d*\">
(\w*)<\/Font-family>\s*$/)

if string =~ regexp
       puts "#{$1}"

   end

Result: Helvetica

However, if I run this script, there is no result.

#!/usr/bin/env ruby
#
#  Created by Don L. on 2007-06-26.
#  Copyright (c) 2007. All rights reserved.

regexp = Regexp.new(/^\s*<Font-family codeSet=\"\w*\" fontId=\"\d*\">
(\w*)<\/Font-family>\s*$/)
file = File.new('/Users/donlevan/Desktop/DDRs/Apple Dealer Price
List.xml')

file.each do |line|
   if line =~ regexp
       puts "#{$1}"

I have looked at Hiproct and XML simple, unfortunately I can not get
TextMate configured correctly so I keep getting Loaderrors when I try
to use ruby gems.

Thanks,

Don
Peña, Botp (Guest)
From: Don L. [mailto:removed_email_address@domain.invalid] :
# file = File.new('/Users/donlevan/Desktop/DDRs/Apple Dealer Price
# List.xml')
#
# file.each do |line|
#    if line =~ regexp

since your regex passes the string test, i would suspect the contents of
the file itself. possibly the expression is broken into multiple lines..

#        puts "#{$1}"
#    end
# end

try grepping the file first

root@pc4all:~# grep -i Helvetica test.txt
<Font-family codeSet="Roman" fontId="0">Helvetica</Font-family>

then pass the result to  simplified ruby program

root@pc4all:~# cat test.rb
regexp = Regexp.new(/^\s*<Font-family codeSet=\"\w*\"
fontId=\"\d*\">(\w*)<\/Font-family>\s*$/)
ARGF.each do |line|
   if line =~ regexp
       puts "#{$1}"

root@pc4all:~# grep -i Helvetica test.txt | ruby test.rb
Helvetica
Greg (Guest)
On Jun 27, 9:44 pm, Don L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> xml (this is an excerpt of a larger file). The weird thing, is that
>

> However, if I run this script, there is no result.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Don

You use an xml library, possibly rexml
don't forget require 'rubygems'