Forum: Ruby on Rails Bad Smells sing in a rails application

Pedro D. (Guest)
Hi all,

  Sometime ago, i read the slides  "when V is for Vexing: Patterns to
DRY Up Your Views" (Bruce W.  railsconf). They are not online
anymore.  I post one slide in my[1}.. But only the bad smells sign in
the view, and only problem,  not the solution.  here they are

  1. Calling find on a model directly

     <% Sales Sales.find_all_by_region(params[:region]).each .do |t| %><

     % end %>

  2. Calling find on an association

  3. Conditionally inserting content if/else clauses, case statements,
etc

     <% if current_user.admin? %>Admins see this

     <% end %>

  4. Doing a complex inline ma map, sor sort, t, select, etc on a
collection

     <% applications.sort_by{|app| [app.priority, app.creator.name]
}.each do |app|

     <% end %>

  5. Assigning temporar temporary variables

     <% indicator_id = "loading_indicator_#{item.id}" %><%=
link_to_remote("Show Status",:url => item_path(item),

     :complete => "$('#{indicator_id}').hide()",

     ) %>

     <%= image_tag('progress.gif', :id => indicator_id)%>

I would like to ask for new bad smell signs. In the view, in the
controller or in the model.  (and discuss this , specially number 3)

Thanks

hmm, I'd like to see the original slides for the answers to these
questions as well.. Too bad they were taken offline..

Mike
Brian H. (Guest)
Mike G. (Guest)
On 6/27/07, Brian H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote: