Forum: Ruby on Rails RoR and PHP on Mac

Donny V. (Guest)
just want to know... is it possible to have RoR Server and PHP Server on
my
iBook G4 ?
I have installed RoR succesfully and now i want to complete my iBook G4
with
PHP server.
If it possible, anyone knows about step by step guidance ?

thanks before.

rgds,

deevee
duran goodyear (Guest)
Web servers have to run on a TCP port, you can't run two on the same
port.

the default port for HTTP traffic is 80.

I don't think its possible to get ruby and php to run on the same
instance of apache, but you can install another apache instance and
change the port it runs on to something other then what your RoR server
runs on.

Look in the httpd.conf file for the line that says "Listen..."

as long as the number is different on each apache instance you run, you
can run as many as you want.

My suggestion, use ports 8080 and 8088 are two known HTTP alternate
ports.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers -- Shows you a collection
of known http ports.

] duran.goodyear
] removed_email_address@domain.invalid
] 267.978.2106
Steve R. (Guest)
There's no reason why not. I have a MBPro, but used to use a PBG4 and
have
had Apache2 purring along serving PHP and static pages on port 80 and
pointing at virtual hosts on a whole bunch of high number ports
(starting at
8000 is not a bad practice). Look into the VirtualHost directive in
httpd.conf.

deevee-2 wrote:
> thanks before.
>

> rgds,
>

> deevee

anyone knows bout step-by-step guidance to install PHP and Apache on Mac
OSX
I know it's out of topic question.. but please help me..

thanks

rgds,

deevee
Hassan S. (Guest)
On 6/25/07, Donny V. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> anyone knows bout step-by-step guidance to install PHP and Apache on Mac OSX
> I know it's out of topic question.. but please help me..

"install PHP and Apache on Mac OSX"

Good grief.

hint: type *that exact phrase* into Google and see what happens...

unimatrixZxero (Guest)
> "install PHP and Apache on Mac OSX"
>
> Good grief.
>
> hint: type *that exact phrase* into Google and see what happens...

Why people don't know how to use Google boggles me a lot as well.
Especially given that asking that question via a mailing list is a
million(exaggeration) times slower in terms of getting results than
google.

BTW Donny you can find Google  at    http://www.google.com/

PS. Sorry about the rant.

To say something on topic. Yes, I can confirm, s. ross' claim. I have
an Apache 2 running PHP and Rails sites via VirtualHosts.

e.g.  A rails  virtual host

<VirtualHost *>
    ServerName rails
    DocumentRoot /home/sam/hello/public/
    ErrorLog /home/sam/hello/log/apache.log

    <Directory /home/sam/hello/public/>
     Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks
     AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
     AllowOverride all
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

e.g. A PHP virtual host

<VirtualHost *>
        ServerAdmin removed_email_address@domain.invalid
        ServerName timereport
        ServerAlias timerreport

        DocumentRoot /var/www/timereport/
        <Directory />
                Options FollowSymLinks
                AllowOverride None
        </Directory>

        <Directory /var/www/timereport/>
                AllowOverride None
                Order allow,deny
                allow from all
        </Directory>
</VirtualHost>
George B. (Guest)
On Jun 25, 2007, at 11:33 AM, Donny V. wrote:

> anyone knows bout step-by-step guidance to install PHP and Apache
> on Mac OSX
> I know it's out of topic question.. but please help me..

The easiest way:

Step 1:  Download and run MAMP.
Step 2: There is no step 2.