Forum: Radiant CMS New Documentation Wiki

John W. Long (Guest)
I spent the day getting Junebug Wiki up and running on the Radiant Web
site. I’d like to move all of the documentation from the trac wiki over
to the new wiki ASP. The new wiki is much more usable than the trac wiki
and will be accessible through a top level navigation link titled
"Documentation".

If you have the time I could sure use some help getting the content from
the trac wiki moved over to the new wiki. Once we get the content moved
over, we will shut down the trac wiki.

The new site is over at:

http://wiki.radiantcms.org

--
John L.
http://wiseheartdesign.com
> The new wiki is much more usable than the trac wiki

Hi John, I am curious what you mean by that? I personally find the
Trac wiki just fine especially in combination with the other Trac
components. Also, by browsing the new Junebug Wiki I noticed that it
is significantly slower than the Trac Wiki.

Cheers,
Oliver
Mislav M. (Guest)
On 6/22/07, Oliver B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Also, by browsing the new Junebug Wiki I noticed that it
> is significantly slower than the Trac Wiki.

For me, it is very fast.
Roydon Gyles-Bedford (Guest)
on 2007-06-22 15:24
I've moved a couple pages over and plan to do some more, however I've
noticed a few issues.

The title field should not be edited once set. Junebug Wiki uses this
for the page url, and if it gets changed, the url changes and breaks any
wiki formated links on other pages. However this can potentially be a
minor issue if the following one is fixed.

The title appears in the body of the page. So in pages such as
http://wiki.radiantcms.org/HowTo_Upgrade_05x_to_06 it has a heading
"HowTo Upgrade 05x to 06" at the top. However "How to Upgrade from 0.5.x
to 0.6" would be a much better heading.

The history and versions pages for a page return an error.

As Oliver says, the site is slow.

All that said, I do like the idea of seperating the documentation from
the development section (trac) of the site from an end-users
perspective.

Roydon
Roydon Gyles-Bedford (Guest)
on 2007-06-22 15:28
Oh, and one other minor issue. The link to the RSS feed either needs to
be removed or changed because right now it points to
http://feeds.feedburner.com/Wiki

I do realise that there will be a few kinks seen that this is a new
system. Just helping find them all. :-)

Roydon
John W. Long (Guest)
Roydon Gyles-Bedford wrote:
> Oh, and one other minor issue. The link to the RSS feed either needs to
> be removed or changed because right now it points to
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/Wiki

Fixed.

--
John L.
http://wiseheartdesign.com
Roydon Gyles-Bedford wrote:
> I've moved a couple pages over and plan to do some more, however I've
> noticed a few issues.

Thanks for the help!

> The title appears in the body of the page. So in pages such as
> http://wiki.radiantcms.org/HowTo_Upgrade_05x_to_06 it has a heading
> "HowTo Upgrade 05x to 06" at the top. However "How to Upgrade from 0.5.x
> to 0.6" would be a much better heading.

I have gone back and forth on this, but I think I prefer the Junebug
approach now.

> The history and versions pages for a page return an error.

This went away when I restarted the service. Are you still having
difficulty with it?

> As Oliver says, the site is slow.

Mmm. I'm still tweaking some things. It seems pretty zippy right now.

--
John L.
http://wiseheartdesign.com
Oliver B. wrote:
> Hi John, I am curious what you mean by that? I personally find the
> Trac wiki just fine especially in combination with the other Trac
> components. Also, by browsing the new Junebug Wiki I noticed that it
> is significantly slower than the Trac Wiki.

We've had a couple of people who thought that documentation for Radiant
was non-existent because it didn't occur to them that it might be on the
dev site. This is the primary reason for the move. It needed a top level
section like the JuneBug wiki has.

Keeping trac focused on tickets and source is a good move. It's now
truly the development site and not the docs+dev site.

--
John L.
http://wiseheartdesign.com

> Keeping trac focused on tickets and source is a good move. It's now
> truly the development site and not the docs+dev site.

I guess I don't see if from an end-user's perspective. Though, I have
one feature request for the new Wiki: auto-generated anchors to
subheadings, just like Trac has?

Cheers,
Oliver
John W. Long (Guest)
Oliver B. wrote:
> I guess I don't see if from an end-user's perspective. Though, I have
> one feature request for the new Wiki: auto-generated anchors to
> subheadings, just like Trac has?

I don't maintain Junebug, I've just customized it to meet my needs:

http://dev.radiantcms.org/radiant/browser/trunk/wi...

If you want, you could submit a patch to the Junebug folks, or if you
give me the relevant code snippet I could copy it into the file above.

--
John L.
http://wiseheartdesign.com

I'm having another issue with the wiki. On trying to edit a couple
pages: "How to Deploy on A Small Orange" and "How to Deploy on
Dreamhost", I keep getting "412 Precondition Failed" on save. It seems
random because I can enter some content and get it to save, but other
times I can't. This happens in both Safari and Firefox.

Roydon