Forum: Ruby on Rails Timer for AJAX calls in Rails?

Chris S. (Guest)
Say I want to perform an ajax action every 10 seconds.  Is there a timer
function in the built-in JavaScript libraries that will let me do this?

--
Chris S.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Chris S. wrote:
> Say I want to perform an ajax action every 10 seconds.  Is there a timer
> function in the built-in JavaScript libraries that will let me do this?
>
> --
> Chris S.
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid
> http://www.compiledmonkey.com

Yes there is. Can't remember it right now, but i've used it before...
Chris H. (Guest)
on 2007-06-22 08:45
Here it is:

periodically_call_remote(options = {})

Periodically calls the specified url (options[:url]) every
options[:frequency] seconds (default is 10). Usually used to update a
specified div (options[:update]) with the results of the remote call.
The options for specifying the target with :url and defining callbacks
is the same as link_to_remote.
Phlip (Guest)
Chris S. wrote:

> Say I want to perform an ajax action every 10 seconds.  Is there a timer
> function in the built-in JavaScript libraries that will let me do this?

periodically_call_remote ?

--
  Phlip
  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510657/

<%= periodically_call_remote(:url => "/test/blank", :complete
=>'addRow("something");return false;', :frequency => 3) %>

All I want to do here is call the javascript function addRow, however
I could not figure out how to accomplish this with out
leveraging :complete

Any idea? I don't really want to call /test/blank

Thanks in advance
Phlip (Guest)
neutek wrote:

> How can I prevent the loading of /test/blank in this example?
>
> <%= periodically_call_remote(:url => "/test/blank", :complete
> =>'addRow("something");return false;', :frequency => 3) %>
>
> All I want to do here is call the javascript function addRow, however
> I could not figure out how to accomplish this with out
> leveraging :complete
>
> Any idea? I don't really want to call /test/blank

I suspect if you leave the :url out, and leverage :complete, your
browser
will periodically call raw JavaScript without hitting a server.

I formerly posted that you could right after I discovered it, but I have
since retired that code, so Google for the topic and my street name if
you
get stuck.