Forum: Ruby on Rails Mootools, Rails and Ajax

Nguma M. (Guest)
Recently, I've decided to include the excellent mootools in my
projects.
So, out prototype and scriptaculous, in mootools.

Everything went well  up to the point i had to add some ajax into the
story...

I am ok not to use remote_ helpers, but it seems nothing comes back...
As a newbie in this whole rails environment, i think i'm getting into
something much bigger than my scope of knowledge.

so basically, i have in js a request that looks like this:

new Ajax('/test',
{
    method:'get',
    data:'abc123',
    update:'debug',
    onComplete:'function(){alert("complete")}
}

and in my controller:

def test
 render "you passed #{params[:data]}
end

but absolutely nothing is passed to my debug, and no alert is being
triggered.

please.... help :(
Dave C. (Guest)
on 2007-06-18 01:20
Nguma M. wrote:
> please.... help :(

If you use Firefox, I would recommend installing the Firebug extension:

http://www.getfirebug.com/

It's a great tool for debugging your js as well as it lets you see your
ajax transactions to tell you were stuff isn't working quite right.
Nguma M. (Guest)
I got to use firebug, which is great :) thks,
now my ajax request goes thorugh i run into another problem of
returning a response without the use of
ActionView::Helpers::PrototypeHelper::JavaScriptGenerator::GeneratorMethods

does anyone have an example of a typical response that wouldn't use
page.insert_thml or page.replace_html ??

On Jun 17, 5:20 pm, Dave C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Aashish K. (Guest)
I too came across same problem. I am using mootools with rails. Can you
help in solving how to handle ajax response and request.

Nguma M. wrote:
> I got to use firebug, which is great :) thks,
> now my ajax request goes thorugh i run into another problem of
> returning a response without the use of
> ActionView::Helpers::PrototypeHelper::JavaScriptGenerator::GeneratorMethods
>
> does anyone have an example of a typical response that wouldn't use
> page.insert_thml or page.replace_html ??
>

> On Jun 17, 5:20 pm, Dave C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Marnen L. (Guest)
on 2009-11-12 16:25
Nguma M. wrote:
> Recently, I've decided to include the excellent mootools in my
> projects.
> So, out prototype and scriptaculous, in mootools.

Just a quick question: why?  I've used both Prototype and Mootools, and
it seems like Mootools is just a half-baked attempt at things that
Prototype already does well.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser