Forum: Rails deployment Deployment help

kirkR (Guest)
Hello all

I need some advice.

I am having problems deploying rails apps.

I have a site5 account.  And I was able to get a few really small apps
running but it was an awful process.  And they ran slow, slow, slow.

I did some reading and it looked like a VPS would be the way to go.

So now I have a slicehost account.
I followed this build process
http://codeintensity.blogspot.com/2006/10/installi...

And I have everything installed.  I also have php and mysql working.

But I don't know anything about Apache2

I don't know how to connect a rails app to Apache2.

A sym link?

I guess I have everything installed but have no idea how to make it
work.

Oh well it is all one big process right

I don't mind reading or buying books if anyone wants to recommend some
resources...

But any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly
appreciated.

Way over my head
Kirk
Xin Z. (Guest)
on 2007-06-18 16:44

> But I don't know anything about Apache2
>
> I don't know how to connect a rails app to Apache2.
>
> A sym link?
>
> I guess I have everything installed but have no idea how to make it
> work.

Kirk,

You can either connect your app to Apache via FastCGI or Mongrel.
Mongrel is the best. FastCGI sucks.

See
http://blog.codahale.com/2006/06/19/time-for-a-gro...

Best of luck.

I'm itching to get my own slicehost account. Can't wait.

Xin
Zack C. (Guest)
Kirk,

Yeh check out Coda's post as it is a great resource.  You might also
find this article useful that I recently wrote up about using Debian
Etch w/ Apache2 as a Rails app server:

http://depixelate.com/2007/6/14/perfect-rails-stac...

Good luck.

--