Forum: Ruby on Rails Simplest way to encrypt / decrypt a string?

Ben J. (Guest)
on 2007-06-15 20:23
I have done multiple google searches and searched the mailing list. All
of the solutions I found seemed kind of heavy / complicated. I just want
a very simple way to encrypt and decrypt a string. Something like:

encrypt("fdsfdsfdsf", "some key");
decrypt("fdsfdsfsdf", "some key");

Is this possible?

Thanks for your help.
Emmanuel O. (Guest)
on 2007-06-15 21:19
Ben J. wrote:
> I have done multiple google searches and searched the mailing list. All
> of the solutions I found seemed kind of heavy / complicated. I just want
> a very simple way to encrypt and decrypt a string. Something like:
>
> encrypt("fdsfdsfdsf", "some key");
> decrypt("fdsfdsfsdf", "some key");
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Thanks for your help.

# There's a simple solution if all you want to do is store passwords or
something like that. The thing with this is that you can't decrypt the
string, because the result is a hash of what you want to encode.... But,
as it always generates the same hash for the same string, you can
re-encode the string and check if they are the same.
require 'digest/sha1'

class Encode
  def initialize(key)
    @salt= key
  end

  def encrypt(text)
     Digest::SHA1.hexdigest("--#{@salt}--#{text}--")

e= Encode.new("This is a very hard key.")

pas1= e.encrypt("This is my secret password")
pas2= e.encrypt("This is my secret password")
pas3= e.encrypt("This is NOT my secret password")

puts(pas1 == pas2)
puts(pas2 == pas3)
Emmanuel O. (Guest)
on 2007-06-15 21:23
Ben J. wrote:
> I have done multiple google searches and searched the mailing list. All
> of the solutions I found seemed kind of heavy / complicated. I just want
> a very simple way to encrypt and decrypt a string. Something like:
>
> encrypt("fdsfdsfdsf", "some key");
> decrypt("fdsfdsfsdf", "some key");
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Thanks for your help.

If you really need to decode your strings, check:

http://crypt.rubyforge.org/installation.html
kellys (Guest)
Hi Ben:

You can refer to the following URL for help:

http://www.andreavb.com/tip000013.html

Even though the sample code in this URL is in VB, you can modify it
using Java or any other programming language you use.

On Jun 15 2007, 8:23 am, Ben J. <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-
Robert W. (Guest)
on 2009-01-27 02:38
Ben J. wrote:
> I have done multiple google searches and searched the mailing list. All
> of the solutions I found seemed kind of heavy / complicated. I just want
> a very simple way to encrypt and decrypt a string. Something like:
>
> encrypt("fdsfdsfdsf", "some key");
> decrypt("fdsfdsfsdf", "some key");
A quick Google for "Ruby AES encrypt" reveled several examples.

This one looks fine to me. (completely untested):
http://brentrubyrails.blogspot.com/2007/12/aes-enc...
sumit asok (Guest)
On Jun 15 2007, 10:19 pm, Emmanuel O. <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-
s.net> wrote:
> > Thanks for your help.
>     @salt= key
> pas2= e.encrypt("This is my secret password")
> pas3= e.encrypt("This is NOT my secret password")
>
> puts(pas1 == pas2)
> puts(pas2 == pas3)
>
> --

Thank you sir,
       It helped me ( or any newbe like me ) about using encryption
algorithm with rails .Its so easy to use.
sumit asok.