Forum: Ruby Newbie: help on site design?

Fjordur (Guest)
I'm learning RoR, been throught various tutorials on scaffolding, done
the O'Reilly "Ruby on Rails" book by Tate and Hibbs.

I'm planning to build a full web application with logins and sessions.
Can you point me to a tutorial to help me design the architecture:
- components (how to login, manage users data...)
- best practice to manage sessions , global design.

Thanks,
Chris L. (Guest)
on 2007-06-12 18:20
Fjordur wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm learning RoR, been throught various tutorials on scaffolding, done
> the O'Reilly "Ruby on Rails" book by Tate and Hibbs.
>
> I'm planning to build a full web application with logins and sessions.
> Can you point me to a tutorial to help me design the architecture:
> - components (how to login, manage users data...)
> - best practice to manage sessions , global design.
>
> Thanks,

Hi,

Ruby on Rails questions are often better received in the Ruby on Rails
forum ( http://www.ruby-forum.com/forum/3 ).

The best book I've seen for what you want to do is Agile Web D.
with Ruby on Rails (
http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/rails/index.html ),
supplemented with a good book about Ruby, perhaps David A. Black's Ruby
for Rails ( http://www.manning.com/black/ ).

Regards,

Chris
John J. (Guest)
On Jun 12, 2007, at 9:20 AM, Chris L. wrote:

>> - best practice to manage sessions , global design.
> with Ruby on Rails (
> Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

Also consider the Rails Cookbook and the Ruby Cookbook.
But definitely the Agile Web D. With Rails and Programming
Ruby are 2 vital reference books you need to have available. Mr.
Black's book gives you a better understanding of the space in between.
Apress also has a whole host of books on the way.