Forum: Ruby JRuby 1.0 Released

Thomas E. (Guest)
The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.0!

Homepage: http://www.jruby.org/
Download: http://dist.codehaus.org/jruby/

JRuby 1.0 is a major milestone for our project.  Our main goal for 1.0
has been Ruby compatibility.  We feel this goal has been reached.  When
we see companies like ThoughtWorks offering commerical JRuby support; we
know this  goal has been reached.  Please download JRuby and take it for
a test drive.  Try running your Ruby and Ruby on Rails applications with
it.  Give us feedback.  Join our community.  Help us continue to improve
JRuby.

We cannot say this enough...Our community really makes working on JRuby
a treat.  Whether it is a decent discussion on IRC or a nice reduced
test case attached to one of our bugs. We really appreciate all the time
people are spending on JRuby.  We all get along well and I think the
progress made because of this really shows.  To think a little over a
year ago we just starting to see simple Rails controllers route...It is
amazing how far we have come.

-Tom
Thiago J. (Guest)
Great work! Does this release only support ruby up to version 1.8.5?

--
Thiago J.
acts_as_solr => http://acts-as-solr.railsfreaks.com
Thiago J. wrote:
> Great work! Does this release only support ruby up to version 1.8.5?

Our understanding is that 1.8.6 was largely a bug-fix release, and since
  at least half of JRuby is not implemented with the same code as C Ruby
(our Java code versus C Ruby's C code) we opted not to update the
remainder (stdlib) until after 1.0. I'd be surprised if the difference
between 1.8.5 and 1.8.6 was noticed by anyone using JRuby.

As far as 1.9 goes, we're planning to start implementing select 1.9
features now that JRuby 1.0 is out, to allow early adopters to start
using those features with JRuby.

- Charlie
Gregory B. (Guest)
On 6/10/07, Charles Oliver N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> As far as 1.9 goes, we're planning to start implementing select 1.9
> features now that JRuby 1.0 is out, to allow early adopters to start
> using those features with JRuby.

Cool! Congrats guys...
Chris C. (Guest)
On 6/10/07, Thomas E. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> --
> Thomas E Enebo <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
> JRuby Core Developer, http://www.bloglines.com/blog/ThomasEEnebo

Wow guys!  Congratulations!  This project is going to go faar.  Is
this offically the first non-MRI implementation to be compatible?
Stefan R. (Guest)
on 2007-06-10 21:06
Charles Oliver N. wrote:
> Thiago J. wrote:
>> Great work! Does this release only support ruby up to version 1.8.5?
>
> Our understanding is that 1.8.6 was largely a bug-fix release, and since
>   at least half of JRuby is not implemented with the same code as C Ruby
> (our Java code versus C Ruby's C code) we opted not to update the
> remainder (stdlib) until after 1.0. I'd be surprised if the difference
> between 1.8.5 and 1.8.6 was noticed by anyone using JRuby.
>
> As far as 1.9 goes, we're planning to start implementing select 1.9
> features now that JRuby 1.0 is out, to allow early adopters to start
> using those features with JRuby.
>
> - Charlie

Maybe that's the time it should be considered to use a separate
versioning for the language. But I guess that has already been
discussed.

Regards
Stefan
Pete Y. (Guest)
Thomas E. wrote:
> The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.0!

Congratulations! It's fantastic for Ruby that implementations like this
are coming of age.

Pete Y.
http://notahat.com/
Sammy L. (Guest)
Thomas E. wrote, On 6/10/2007 4:40 AM:
> The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.0!

Congrats Tom, Charlie, Ola and the entire JRuby team!
Robert K. (Guest)
On 10.06.2007 11:40, Thomas E. wrote:
> it.  Give us feedback.  Join our community.  Help us continue to improve
> JRuby.
>
> We cannot say this enough...Our community really makes working on JRuby
> a treat.  Whether it is a decent discussion on IRC or a nice reduced
> test case attached to one of our bugs. We really appreciate all the time
> people are spending on JRuby.  We all get along well and I think the
> progress made because of this really shows.  To think a little over a
> year ago we just starting to see simple Rails controllers route...It is
> amazing how far we have come.

My full hearted congratulations.  Well done!

Kind regards

  robert
Charles Oliver N. (Guest)
Chris C. wrote:
> Wow guys!  Congratulations!  This project is going to go faar.  Is
> this offically the first non-MRI implementation to be compatible?

I think that's probably fair to say...we're the only one that can run
apps, and we seem to run them pretty well.

- Charlie
Eleanor McHugh (Guest)
On 11 Jun 2007, at 13:20, Charles Oliver N. wrote:
> Chris C. wrote:
>> Wow guys!  Congratulations!  This project is going to go faar.  Is
>> this offically the first non-MRI implementation to be compatible?
>
> I think that's probably fair to say...we're the only one that can
> run apps, and we seem to run them pretty well.

Congratulation to all you guys in the JRuby team on going 1.0 - this
is such a huge milestone in Ruby's evolution :)

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
----
Meinrad R. (Guest)
On 6/10/07, Charles Oliver N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
[...]
> As far as 1.9 goes, we're planning to start implementing select 1.9
> features now that JRuby 1.0 is out, to allow early adopters to start
> using those features with JRuby.
>
> - Charlie

Just curious: Have you already decided what technology to follow for
Ruby 1.9 features. Will you implement the YARV VM or will you try to
translate Ruby directly to Java bytecode?

keep up the great work!
-- henon
Martin DeMello (Guest)
On 6/10/07, Thomas E. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.0!

Congratulations - that's quite a milestone!

martin
Charles Oliver N. (Guest)
Meinrad R. wrote:
> Ruby 1.9 features. Will you implement the YARV VM or will you try to
> translate Ruby directly to Java bytecode?

We already have a compiler that compiles what code it can to Java
bytecode. That's helped performance substantially in a number of areas.
We also have a very early, primitive implementaiton of YARV's bytecode
engine. We're hoping that will provide a faster interpreted mode for
JRuby, avoiding the AST walking we're doing now.

- Charlie