Forum: Ruby practical ruby console on windows?

Kiripolszky Károly (Guest)
Ehlo,

I'm just wondering if there's any good console for Ruby on Windows?
Mine is a Hungarian system and when I use irb from the win console I
just can't enter asterisks and some other chars, on the other hand
fxri is slow like hell.
It's starting up slow, it takes a lot of time to load doc strings and
even once it is loaded the cursor goes from one char to another with
some 1/2 second delay, which is freaky especially when you edit a very
long line. Python has a very cool Pythonwin console and editor which I
love very much. I'm seeking something like that for Ruby. Maybe I'll
try to write my own solution, if there isn't any already... Thanks in
advance!

Károly Kiripolszky
Jano S. (Guest)
On 6/8/07, Kiripolszky Károly <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> love very much. I'm seeking something like that for Ruby. Maybe I'll
> try to write my own solution, if there isn't any already... Thanks in
> advance!
>
> Károly Kiripolszky

Try fastri instead of ri, maybe there's a version with fx.
Martin DeMello (Guest)
On 6/8/07, Kiripolszky Károly <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Ehlo,
>
> I'm just wondering if there's any good console for Ruby on Windows?
> Mine is a Hungarian system and when I use irb from the win console I
> just can't enter asterisks and some other chars, on the other hand
> fxri is slow like hell.

Have you tried just plain fxirb, without fxri? It might or might not
be faster, but if the problem is the docstrings it has a chance of
speeding things up if you just use the irb component.

martin
gga (Guest)
On Jun 8, 6:59 am, Kiripolszky Károly <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Ehlo,
>
> I'm just wondering if there's any good console for Ruby on Windows?
> Mine is a Hungarian system and when I use irb from the win console I
> just can't enter asterisks and some other chars, on the other hand
> fxri is slow like hell.

This is not a problem with IRB but with your environment.  You need to
create an .inputrc file for your environment that translates your keys
(this is usually done on unix oses to support even bash properly, but
obviously not windows).
Michal S. (Guest)
On 13/06/07, gga <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> create an .inputrc file for your environment that translates your keys
> (this is usually done on unix oses to support even bash properly, but
> obviously not windows).

I am not sure about Hungarian but I have to switch to English to write
asterisks, they aren't on the keyboard for my language. It works in
console as well. However, the shortcut keys in non-NT Windows console
(command.com as opposed to cmd.exe) are DOS compatible (and may need
some setup).

Thanks

Michal