Forum: Ruby on Rails Radio twitter

Jean P. (Guest)
on 2007-06-07 15:48
Can someone help me?
I like twitter a lot and I want to create radio twitter, which would be
twittervision but on audio with the best messages. A raw example is
here:
http://tinyurl.com/382267 but it lacks some background music which would
be nice. I am not a programmer so if someone wants to jump in, thanks!
Radio twitter will be open source.
Thanks!
Jean
Enrique Comba R. (Guest)
Hello all,

I am new to this list and I just wanted to see if someone can help me
out with a small problem I have.

I am building a Rails app using web services (i.e. SOAP and XML-RPC
possibly REST later). My problem is that I want to load a,
relatively, big object map (~5M) into memory as my application will
not make use of any database backend.

I'd like to load this object map while rails is booting up and then
be able to access it from the controllers. Does anyone know how to do
that (i.e. load some object into a shared memory in rails that makes
it available to the controllers)?

Thanks a lot in advance,

----
Enrique Comba R.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid

I always thought Smalltalk would beat Java, I just didn't know it
would be called 'Ruby' when it did.
-- Kent Beck
Lukhnos d. L. (Guest)
On 6/7/07, Enrique Comba R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am building a Rails app using web services (i.e. SOAP and XML-RPC possibly
> REST later). My problem is that I want to load a, relatively, big object map
> (~5M) into memory as my application will not make use of any database
> backend.

(You might have wanted to post it under a new subject but rather posted
as a
follow-up of the present subject? anyway...)

> I'd like to load this object map while rails is booting up and then be able
> to access it from the controllers. Does anyone know how to do that (i.e.
> load some object into a shared memory in rails that makes it available to
> the controllers)?

If the object map doesn't change at all, it should be safe just to load
it in
environment.rb, and the controllers will be able to use it in either
development
or production mode. The drawback being that each Rails instance has one
copy of it.

If you need to update the object map often, perhaps something like
MemCached can help.

d.
Enrique Comba R. (Guest)
On 7 Jun 2007, at 16:50, Lukhnos D. Liu wrote:

> (You might have wanted to post it under a new subject but rather
> posted as a
> follow-up of the present subject? anyway...)

Sorry, yes, I didn't notice... My fault.

> load it in
> environment.rb, and the controllers will be able to use it in
> either development
> or production mode. The drawback being that each Rails instance has
> one
> copy of it.

So if I load it as:

@my_object_map...

that should be ok and available to the controllers?

> If you need to update the object map often, perhaps something like
> MemCached can help.

Nope, it will only change every couple of months in the max.

Thanks !

----