Forum: Ruby starting

mailer mailer (Guest)
I am just starting to learn ruby, where should I start?
Harold H. (Guest)
On 6/6/07, mailer mailer <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I am just starting to learn ruby, where should I start?

At the beginning of course!

http://poignantguide.net/ruby/

Good luck!
-Harold
Tim H. (Guest)
mailer mailer wrote:
> I am just starting to learn ruby, where should I start?

Welcome to Ruby!

It would help if you would explain a bit about your level of experience.
Have you done any programming before? If so, in what languages? What is
your general goal? That is, what is it you'd like to accomplish by
learning Ruby (besides, of course, the general accomplishment of
learning Ruby programming)?
unknown (Guest)
In message <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>,
"Harol
d Hausman" writes:
>At the beginning of course!
>
>http://poignantguide.net/ruby/

I just have to point out:

Had I been given pretty much any other link first, I would have learned
Ruby
months earlier.  That one creeped me out with how cultish it was, and
furthermore, didn't actually TELL me anything about the language for a
few pages.  I found Pickaxe much more approachable.

I do not like to start people with a programming language guide which
reads like an old Dr. Pepper commercial.

-s
Rick D. (Guest)
On 6/6/07, Peter S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> furthermore, didn't actually TELL me anything about the language for a
> few pages.  I found Pickaxe much more approachable.
>
> I do not like to start people with a programming language guide which
> reads like an old Dr. Pepper commercial.

Which really points out that what works best for anyone in learning
anything is highly dependent on the person.  Different people find
that what works for other folks might or might not work for them.

Some folks want to be led down a track, of these some might enjoy a
whimsical/idiosyncratic approach such as _why's.  From the number of
times follks praise the poignant guide, it seems that there's a fair
number who find it useful.

Others have a project or projects in mind and figure out what they
need to know step by step shortly after they discover that they need
to know it, kind of an agile approach to learning.  They get a
reference book, and/or find internet resources such as this forum and
ruby-oriented web sites (if they can find any <G>) useful.

It also depends on where you are starting.

On another thread someone was asking about learning Rails, and was
given the advice that they really should understand Ruby first.
Maybe, maybe not. Again it really depends on whether they want to
focus on learning Ruby or want to build something with Rails (or maybe
something else) and pick up Ruby along the way.

There are lots of paths into the Ruby community, which one works best
depends on where you are starting from, and what means of transport
works best for you.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby
http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/
fREW (Guest)

I concur.  Order the pickaxe and in the meantime prime yourself on
wonder (and old Dr. Pepper!)
Gareth A. (Guest)
Peter S. <seebs <at> seebs.net> writes:

> In message <cc092b6c0706061536o18e071a4m95c2e381db420c3 <at> mail.gmail.com>,
"Harol
> few pages.  I found Pickaxe much more approachable.
>
> I do not like to start people with a programming language guide which
> reads like an old Dr. Pepper commercial.
>
> -s

I'm going to endorse this comment. I found Why's guide very difficult to
get
involved in and the Pragmatic guide was a much better introduction. It's
online
as well.. http://www.rubycentral.com/book/
SonOfLilit (Guest)
Be sure to check http://RubyMentor.rubyforge.org/ !

Aur S.
Bill G. (Guest)
On 6/6/07, mailer mailer <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I am just starting to learn ruby, where should I start?

In general, you'll want to at least look around here:
http://www.ruby-doc.org/

If you've never done any programming, try Chris P.'s 'Learn to
Program':
http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/ (online)
http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/fr_ltp/ (expanded - buy)

If you have experience, you should probably start with the 'Pickaxe':
http://whytheluckystiff.net/ruby/pickaxe/ (1st edition - online)
http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/ruby/ (2nd edition - buy)
mailer mailer (Guest)
I have absolutely no programing experiance in an language.
Nasir K. (Guest)
Then start with http://pine.fm/LearnToProgram/ and then move to
PickAxe after you are comfortable with basics, or try out Learn to
Program and http://tryruby.hobix.com/ in parallel.

- nasir
SonOfLilit (Guest)
I've seen non-programmers do pretty well with try-ruby, actually. You
should try that.

Aur