Forum: Ruby on Rails Making a simple table grid

ne h. (Guest)
on 2007-06-06 19:53
I searched around the forums for an answer to this question, but most
seemed to deal with structures and functionality that are a little
farther beyond what I am looking for.

Given that a data set (say, @results), how would you display those
results in a simple grid that is 5 items across and as many down as it
needs to be.

Thanks in advance for help with what seems to be an elusive but simple
question. :)
Wiebe C. (Guest)
On Jun 6, 5:53 pm, Neil H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> I searched around the forums for an answer to this question, but most
> seemed to deal with structures and functionality that are a little
> farther beyond what I am looking for.
>
> Given that a data set (say, @results), how would you display those
> results in a simple grid that is 5 items across and as many down as it
> needs to be.
>
> Thanks in advance for help with what seems to be an elusive but simple
> question. :)

Without looking into the problem, I think I would draw 5 tables. Like
so:

split_count = @result.size / 5
split_counter = 0

@result.each do |result|
  <% split_counter++ %>

  # make a table and then begin a new table after split_counter has
reached split_count.

  <% split_counter = 0 if split_counter == split_count %>
end

Beware when result.size is < 5 of course.

just from the top of my head, there might very well be a better
solution :)
Shai S. (Guest)
on 2007-06-06 20:46
Neil H. wrote:
> I searched around the forums for an answer to this question, but most
> seemed to deal with structures and functionality that are a little
> farther beyond what I am looking for.
>
> Given that a data set (say, @results), how would you display those
> results in a simple grid that is 5 items across and as many down as it
> needs to be.
>
> Thanks in advance for help with what seems to be an elusive but simple
> question. :)

Sounds like you want in_groups_of.

See this thread for more info:

http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/73779#108452