Forum: Typo (no subject)

Eamon F. (Guest)
Hi all,
Whenever I adjust my Typo settings, post a new entry, or post a
comment, it takes Typo about 1 minute to load, the next time I load a
page. Then after that first time, it works fine until the next time
something is adjusted. Does anyone know what might be wrong here?

Thanks in advance.
Piers C. (Guest)
On 05/06/07, Eamon F. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Whenever I adjust my Typo settings, post a new entry, or post a
> comment, it takes Typo about 1 minute to load, the next time I load a
> page. Then after that first time, it works fine until the next time
> something is adjusted. Does anyone know what might be wrong here?

What version of typo are you using?

Tangentially, it would be really handy if we had an
/admin/about_this_typo link somewhere which would give us a nice
potted description of the typo installation and its environment.

I suppose once we have that, it's but a small step to an
admin/report_issue page.

Patches welcome.
Eamon F. (Guest)
On Jun 6, 2007, at 1:18 AM, Piers C. wrote:

> On 05/06/07, Eamon F. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Whenever I adjust my Typo settings, post a new entry, or post a
>> comment, it takes Typo about 1 minute to load, the next time I load a
>> page. Then after that first time, it works fine until the next time
>> something is adjusted. Does anyone know what might be wrong here?
>
> What version of typo are you using?

Sorry, forgot to mention that: I'm using Typo 4.1.1.
> Tangentially, it would be really handy if we had an
> /admin/about_this_typo link somewhere which would give us a nice
> potted description of the typo installation and its environment.

How would I go about doing that? Does Typo have a page that shows all
the installation info, or should I make it myself? Sorry, I'm new to
Typo, so I don't know the ins and outs.

(Also: I changed the title of this thread because I forgot to add one
before. Sorry.)
Piers C. (Guest)
On 06/06/07, Eamon F. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > What version of typo are you using?
> >
> Sorry, forgot to mention that: I'm using Typo 4.1.1.

One minute's pretty extreme to render a page - do you know what kind
of load the system is under? (There have been cases when the system
takes a long time to respond to a change because it's taking a long
time to flush the cache - and cache flushing is on mental 'to be
fixed' list, but it doesn't usually take so long to render a page...
What sidebars are you using? Are many of them based on RSS feeds?

> > Tangentially, it would be really handy if we had an
> > /admin/about_this_typo link somewhere which would give us a nice
> > potted description of the typo installation and its environment.
>
> How would I go about doing that? Does Typo have a page that shows all
> the installation info, or should I make it myself? Sorry, I'm new to
> Typo, so I don't know the ins and outs.

Ah, that was aimed more at the list in general than you in particular.
Typo doesn't have a page that shows all the installation info, and I'm
not quite sure what info really needs to go there... probably
something along the lines of Ruby version, RAILS_ENV, Caching state,
operating system, database, schema version, typo version and/or SVN
revision, list of plugins installed, a pretty printed representation
of blog.settings, List of sidebars. (All this needs to have any
passwords obscured, of course...)
Toby Bryans (Guest)

On 7 Jun 2007, at 10:32, Piers C. wrote:
> One minute's pretty extreme to render a page - do you know what kind
> of load the system is under? (There have been cases when the system
> takes a long time to respond to a change because it's taking a long
> time to flush the cache - and cache flushing is on mental 'to be
> fixed' list, but it doesn't usually take so long to render a page...
> What sidebars are you using? Are many of them based on RSS feeds?

I'm not sure if this is related but since 4.1 I have noticed similar
behaviour. I have three static sidebar entries and I have had cause
to change them occasionally. I have noticed that the first time I
make a change it is quick as you like, but if I make a second change
without reloading the page then the progress indicator keeps
spinning. However, if I reload the page between changes then it is
fine. The sidebars I have enabled are:

Static x3
Tags
Categories
Archives
XML Syndication
Eamon F. (Guest)
I don't think that's related, but I also have exactly the same problem.
Eamon F. (Guest)
On Jun 7, 2007, at 2:32 AM, Piers C. wrote:

> What sidebars are you using? Are many of them based on RSS feeds?

Sorry, now that I actually time it, it's not 1 minute... It's about
25 seconds. Time passes slowly when you're waiting. :) But still, 25
seconds seems like a long time.
I'm running it on an old 400MHz G3 iMac (which is dedicated to
serving Typo, so it's not doing anything else processor-intensive).
When Typo is taking a long time to load, the processor usage goes up
to about 40-70%... Is this supposed to happen?

> not quite sure what info really needs to go there... probably
> something along the lines of Ruby version, RAILS_ENV, Caching state,
> operating system, database, schema version, typo version and/or SVN
> revision, list of plugins installed, a pretty printed representation
> of blog.settings, List of sidebars. (All this needs to have any
> passwords obscured, of course...)

Ah, OK.
Ben R. (Guest)
> I'm running it on an old 400MHz G3 iMac

That is a very slow machine to run a Rails stack on and is probably
one of the reasons for the poor performance.

On 6/7/07, Eamon F. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > takes a long time to respond to a change because it's taking a long
> to about 40-70%... Is this supposed to happen?
> > Typo doesn't have a page that shows all the installation info, and I'm
> > Typo-list mailing list
> > removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Ben R.
303-947-0446
http://www.benr75.com
Eamon F. (Guest)

> What sidebars are you using? Are many of them based on RSS feeds?
Oops, forgot to mention: the only sidebars I'm using are Static,
Tags, Categories, Archives, and Syndicate. But I am using the
<typo:flickr> macro in several instances, if that has any significance.
Eamon F. (Guest)
On Jun 7, 2007, at 12:31 PM, Ben R. wrote:

>> I'm running it on an old 400MHz G3 iMac
>
> That is a very slow machine to run a Rails stack on and is probably
> one of the reasons for the poor performance.

Yeah, that's what I thought, but it seems to be doing fine until any
adjustment is made... Is it the cache flushing that's making it slow?
If so, do you have any idea when this might be changed?