Forum: Ruby How to capture the output of system("")?

Yingqi T. (Guest)
on 2007-06-04 21:36
All,

When I can system("...") in ruby, I got either true or false returned,
but how do I capture the information that being printed out in console
when the cmd is being executed?

Thanks
Sebastian H. (Guest)
Yingqi T. wrote:
> When I can system("...") in ruby, I got either true or false returned,
> but how do I capture the information that being printed out in console
> when the cmd is being executed?

By using backticks or %x{} instead of system.
Glen H. (Guest)
use `` instead of system("")

On 6/4/07, Yingqi T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

"Hey brother christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
speak

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)
Glen H. (Guest)
for example `ls /etc`

--
"Hey brother christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
speak

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)
unknown (Guest)
> Yingqi T. wrote:
> > When I can system("...") in ruby, I got either true or false returned,
> > but how do I capture the information that being printed out in console
> > when the cmd is being executed?
>
> By using backticks or %x{} instead of system.
>
> --
> Ist so, weil ist so
> Bleibt so, weil war so

Another option besides backticks or %x{} is to use IO#popen.  This is
useful if you want to read output in the same manner as you would with
a file.