Forum: Ruby on Rails Is anybody doing anything about the spam on this list?

Jeff C. (Guest)
It seems to me that the amount of span on this last has gotten a lot
worse over the last couple of months.  Are we hoping that Google
filters out spam?  Or is that the responsiblity of the list owners or
something?  I admit I'm not sure how this is supposed to work.

I use Google G. to read the list... perhaps I should use GMail
instead and hope that GMail's filters will catch the spam?

Jeff
(Guest)
On Jun 3, 7:57 am, Jeff <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> It seems to me that the amount of span on this last has gotten a lot
> worse over the last couple of months.  Are we hoping that Google
> filters out spam?  Or is that the responsiblity of the list owners or
> something?  I admit I'm not sure how this is supposed to work.
>
> I use Google G. to read the list... perhaps I should use GMail
> instead and hope that GMail's filters will catch the spam?
>
> Jeff

a lot of the spam is from Ruby-forum.  The guy ( I can't remember his
name) has been very responsive when asked to block users here:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/forum/2
Richard H. (Guest)
Gmail catches quite a bit of it, but some still gets through.  I just
report
it and it seems to drop a bit for a while.  Ive noticed most come from
either the forums or from infected machines.

--
Richard J Hancock
Developer

However, I report spam directly here in the group (available under the
More options link).
Jeff C. (Guest)
On Jun 3, 5:05 pm, dasil003 <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> However, I report spam directly here in the group (available under the
> More options link).

Cool, I'll be more diligent about using that, and let's hope things
improve.

Thanks.
Jeff
Joe C. (Guest)
I've been directing everything to my gmail account
(auto-archiving/tagging
it) and using the gmail spam filter.  It's trainable, but watch the
false
positives.  It's like a 2 steps forward, 1 back process.

I get about 90% of it filtered.