Forum: Ruby on Rails Recreating the Wheel: Using Composite Keys, and RESTful Auth

gberz3 (Guest)
Hi All,

I'm interested in creating something similar to, but not the same as,
Basecamp.  I know, I know, why reinvent the wheel?  Well, honestly,
because it's not my wheel and it's rather hard to make a living off of
others' wheels.  ;)

Anyway, I'm interested in creating a RESTFul setup with a few levels
of models.  The most notable of which are Company, and User.  As it
stands (or as I understand it), creating a RestfulAuthentication model
involves a single Model and Controller.  However, with an application
of this nature I'm going to need a Company model that has many Users.
In order to both allow new companies to create usernames that are
"already used" by other companies, and limit redundancy within a
single company, I'm going to need composite keys.

So, I'm looking for quality (notice *quality*) URLs or direct
information regarding the following:

1) composite keys
2) restful authentication setup split between multiple models
3) any tips, tricks, recommendations, or warnings you have for an
endeavor of this nature.
4) any correction of potential misunderstandings I may have

Thanks in advance!
gberz3 (Guest)
Anyone?
Rick O. (Guest)
On 5/25/07, gberz3 <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> of models.  The most notable of which are Company, and User.  As it
>
> 1) composite keys
> 2) restful authentication setup split between multiple models
> 3) any tips, tricks, recommendations, or warnings you have for an
> endeavor of this nature.
> 4) any correction of potential misunderstandings I may have

1) ???
2) account_location plugin:
http://svn.rubyonrails.org/rails/plugins/account_l...

--
Rick O.
http://lighthouseapp.com

> 1) composite keys

I haven't used this, but it's from Dr. Nic, so I suspect it's good:

http://rubyforge.org/projects/compositekeys
gberz3 (Guest)
Rick,

I was speaking in #1 about the need for composite keys in order to
accommodate for Companies with many Users.  Does that make sense or am
I missing something?

- Michael
Douglas S. (Guest)
on 2007-05-30 02:33
gberz3 wrote:
> Rick,
>
> I was speaking in #1 about the need for composite keys in order to
> accommodate for Companies with many Users.  Does that make sense or am
> I missing something?
>

> - Michael

Why use a composite key? It is not going to make your url look any
nicers.

If you use a standard Rails model with a primary key of ID, you can
create URLS of the form....

mydomain.com/user/123_bob

Where 123 is the id, and Bob is the users (nick) name.

You can get this easily in rails using the to_param method in your
model...

to_param

  "#{id}_#{nick}"

end

By doing this you get a nice readable url, using a standard Rails model.
From this you can then do nested resources like...

mydomian.com/company/alicecorp/user/123_bob

Hope this helps, or at least gives you ideas you can work from.