Forum: Ruby on Rails AR and Logger

Vassilis R. (Guest)
on 2007-05-25 16:24
I posted a minor rave in ruby-talk about the intrussiveness of AR with
the Logger implementation.
The original describes how I use a Formatter to get the desired message
format and how it all goes awry when I require AR.

It has been very annoying (to the point of considering dropping AR
altogether).
I finally found the culprit (it's in active_support/clean_logger.rb):

alias old_format_message format_message
# Ruby 1.8.3 transposed the msg and progname arguments to
format_message.
# We can't test RUBY_VERSION because some distributions don't keep Ruby
# and its standard library in sync, leading to installations of Ruby
1.8.2
# with Logger from 1.8.3 and vice versa.
if method_defined?(:formatter=)
 def format_message(severity, timestamp, progname, msg)
   "#{msg}\n"
 end
else
 def format_message(severity, timestamp, msg, progname)
   "#{msg}\n"

Now, apart from the reservation I have about hacking a base library like
Logger, I  also wonder why would one overwrite the newer (1.8.3)
format_message implementation although Logger now allows for a format
definition.

Why not use the following:
if !method_defined?(:formatter=)
 def format_message(severity, timestamp, progname, msg)
   "#{msg}\n"

Then create an ActiveRecordFormatter

class ActiveRecordFormatter<Logger::Formatter
  def call severity, time, progname, msg
    "#{msg}\n"

and assign this as the default_formatter for Logger.

This is a lot less intrusive for the >1.8.3 implementations than what we
have at the moment.
Cheers,
V.-
Vassilis R. (Guest)
on 2007-05-25 16:48
Vassilis R. wrote:
> I posted a minor rave in ruby-talk about the intrussiveness of AR with
> the Logger implementation.
[snip]

> and assign this as the default_formatter for Logger.
>
> This is a lot less intrusive for the >1.8.3 implementations than what we
> have at the moment.
Ok, I found the ticket http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/7106 with the
fix I want, and it has been commited 3 months ago but did not make it
into activesupport 1.4.2.

Any chance for a 1.4.3 release?
Cheers,
V.-