Forum: Ruby on Rails Unit Tests

giorgio (Guest)
If you have (say) 50 unit tests how do you run them all and check that
there are no failures.
I have a script that runs all the tests but it is difficult to spot
failures in the mass of output....

Giorgio
Jonathan del Strother (Guest)
Just plain 'rake' should run all your tests and count up the
successes/failures
Husein C. (Guest)
For running all test files, run 'rake' command. For more specific tests:

rake test                     # Test all units and functionals
rake test:functionals         # Run the functional tests in
test/functional
rake test:integration         # Run the integration tests in
test/integration
rake test:plugins             # Run the plugin tests in
vendor/plugins/**/test (or specify with PLUGIN=name)
rake test:recent              # Test recent changes
rake test:uncommitted         # Test changes since last checkin (only
Subversion)
rake test:units               # Run the unit tests in test/unit

You can see available rake test tasks, by running 'rake -T test' from
your project directory.

You can also run a test file with ruby:

ruby test/unit/model_test.rb

Or even just a test method by passing it's name to -n switch:

ruby test/unit/model_test.rb -n test_method

HTH
- H

On 5/24/07, giorgio <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

--
Husein C.
Yucca Intelligence Development
On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 07:59:57AM -0000, giorgio wrote:
> If you have (say) 50 unit tests how do you run them all and check that
> there are no failures.
> I have a script that runs all the tests but it is difficult to spot
> failures in the mass of output....

A tip if you want nicely colored and formatted output:

        gem install turn
        gem install facets

And then in test_helper.rb:

        require 'turn'

It is somewhat more verbose than the default test/unit output, so it's a
matter of taste. I'm not sure the coloring works on windows though, the
formatting is still good.

--
Cheers,
- Jacob A.