Forum: Ruby on Rails [ANN] ActiveRecord :select with :include gem

Paolo N. (Guest)
I'm writing to announce the first release of select_with_include gem.

This gem allows the use of the :select option together with
the :include in the #find ActiveRecord method.

In the current ActiveRecord version if a #find has the :include option
specified the :select will be ignored returning always all the fields
of every single table; select_with_include modifies this behavior
providing a limited support of the :select option.
Depending by the number of the columns in your tables and the depth of
your associations select_with_include can really improve the
performance in terms of speed and memory usage of ActiveRecord

The gem can be installed with the usual

gem install select_with_include

more details are provided at

http://assertbuggy.blogspot.com/2007/05/activereco...
Fernando P. (Guest)
on 2008-11-07 12:41
Paolo N. wrote:
> I'm writing to announce the first release of select_with_include gem.
>
> This gem allows the use of the :select option together with
> the :include in the #find ActiveRecord method.
>
> In the current ActiveRecord version if a #find has the :include option
> specified the :select will be ignored returning always all the fields
> of every single table; select_with_include modifies this behavior
> providing a limited support of the :select option.
> Depending by the number of the columns in your tables and the depth of
> your associations select_with_include can really improve the
> performance in terms of speed and memory usage of ActiveRecord
>
> The gem can be installed with the usual
>
> gem install select_with_include
>
> more details are provided at
>
> http://assertbuggy.blogspot.com/2007/05/activereco...

Did you stop developing the gem? Is it compatible with Rails 2.x?

Anyone suing it? Are there real benefits?