Forum: Ruby There's gem chocolate in my profiling peanut butter!

Daniel B. (Guest)
Hi all,

Has anyone written anything that will skip all the gem related code
that occurs on startup when running a profiler over a program? Is it
even possible?

All that extra stuff in the final output makes it harder to read and
generally bugs me.

Regards,

Dan
Joel VanderWerf (Guest)
Daniel B. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone written anything that will skip all the gem related code
> that occurs on startup when running a profiler over a program? Is it
> even possible?
>
> All that extra stuff in the final output makes it harder to read and
> generally bugs me.

An excerpt from the README of ruby-prof:

=== ruby-prof API

The second way is to use the ruby-prof API to profile
particular segments of code.

   require 'ruby-prof'

   # Profile the code
   RubyProf.start
   [code to profile]
   result = RubyProf.stop

   # Print a flat profile to text
   printer = RubyProf::TextPrinter.new(result)
   printer.print(STDOUT, 0)

Alternatively, you can use a block to tell ruby-prof what
to profile:

   require 'ruby-prof'

   # Profile the code
   result = RubyProf.profile do
     [code to profile]

   # Print a graph profile to text
   printer = RubyProf::GraphPrinter.new(result)
   printer.print(STDOUT, 0)
> An excerpt from the README of ruby-prof:
>    RubyProf.start
> to profile:
>    # Print a graph profile to text
>    printer = RubyProf::GraphPrinter.new(result)
>    printer.print(STDOUT, 0)
>
> If for some reason you want to use profile.rb, it's easy to hack up to
> have the same feature (let me know and I'll send it).
>
> --
>        vjoel : Joel VanderWerf : path berkeley edu : 510 665 3407

Oh, excellent Joel, thank you. As for profile.rb, I think it would be
great to send that as a patch to ruby-core. :)

Regards,

Dan
Eric H. (Guest)
On May 21, 2007, at 15:11, Joel VanderWerf wrote:
>   [code to profile]
>   result = RubyProf.stop

Is RubyProf still being maintained?  It has this horribly annoying
bug where it breaks when you return after calling RubyProf.start.
The pure-ruby profile.rb works correctly, Shugo's prof (RubyProf's
ancestor) works correctly, and zenprofile (from ZenHacks) works
correctly.

The bug's been reported at least twice:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=5652&group_id=1814&atid=7060

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=5658&group_id=1814&atid=7060
Daniel B. (Guest)
On May 21, 5:32 pm, Eric H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> >> generally bugs me.
>
> ancestor) works correctly, and zenprofile (from ZenHacks) works
> correctly.
>
> The bug's been reported at least twice:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?
> func=detail&aid=5652&group_id=1814&atid=7060
>
> http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?
> func=detail&aid=5658&group_id=1814&atid=7060

I haven't experienced that myself, and it has been less than a year
since the last release. However, I do see a bunch of bugs in the queue
that haven't been touched, so I dunno.

Shugo, Charlie - you around?

Dan
Stephen K. (Guest)
In message <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>,
Daniel B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes
>Hi all,
>
>Has anyone written anything that will skip all the gem related code
>that occurs on startup when running a profiler over a program? Is it
>even possible?
>
>All that extra stuff in the final output makes it harder to read and
>generally bugs me.

Setting that up is trivial with Ruby Performance Validator.

http://www.softwareverify.com/ruby/profiler/index.html

Stephen
Charlie S. (Guest)
>> Is RubyProf still being maintained?  It has this horribly annoying
>> bug where it breaks when you return after calling RubyProf.start.
>> The pure-ruby profile.rb works correctly, Shugo's prof (RubyProf's
>> ancestor) works correctly, and zenprofile (from ZenHacks) works
>> correctly.

Hi Daniel and Eric,

Yup still around (just a few months behind schedule :).

The bug is fixed in ruby-prof 0.5.0, which is now available on
ruby-forge.

Charlie