Forum: Ruby on Rails How do I stop a column being updated by model.save?

David F. (Guest)
on 2007-05-21 12:19
One of my models has a column that is updated very frequently from a
separate process, so it is important that when a record is saved in
rails, this column should be left alone. In the update method of the
controller I have:

@record = MyModel.find(params[:id])
@record.update_attributes(params[:my_model])

params[:my_model] doesn't have a reference to the column I'm talking
about, however, the UPDATE statement produced by update_attributes will
still assign a value to this column.

Even though its unlikely, if the separate process updates the record in
the time betweent the find, and the update, then the new value will be
lost. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

p.s. attr_protected doesn't help me
Isak H. (Guest)
On 5/21/07, David F. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> about, however, the UPDATE statement produced by update_attributes will
> still assign a value to this column.
>
> Even though its unlikely, if the separate process updates the record in
> the time betweent the find, and the update, then the new value will be
> lost. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

One option, not very clean and elegant, and probably prone to
deadlocks if you update several rows during a transaction, is locking
the row & reading its' current value from a before_save callback.

E.g.:

  def before_save
    unless self.new_record?
      current = self.class.find(self.id, :lock => true) # "select for
update", locking row
      write_attribute(:some_attribute, current.some_attribute)

Isak
Xavier N. (Guest)
On May 21, 2007, at 10:19 AM, David F. wrote:

> about, however, the UPDATE statement produced by update_attributes
> will
> still assign a value to this column.
>
> Even though its unlikely, if the separate process updates the
> record in
> the time betweent the find, and the update, then the new value will be
> lost. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?
>
> p.s. attr_protected doesn't help me

The invocation is

   attr_readonly :foo

but according to

   http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/6896

is scheduled for 1.2.4.

-- fxn
David F. (Guest)
on 2007-05-21 13:19
>   def before_save
>     unless self.new_record?
>       current = self.class.find(self.id, :lock => true) # "select for
> update", locking row
>       write_attribute(:some_attribute, current.some_attribute)
>     end
>   end
>

> Isak

Its nasty, but it might work. Thanks!
inung (Guest)
hi david,

have you ever try this:
@record = MyModel.find(params[:id])
@record.update_attribute("your_column", params[:value])

for updating several column, you could use this instead:
@record.update_attribute("your_column1", params[:value1],
"your_column2",
params[:value2])

afaik, if you do somethink like this:
@record.update_attributes(params[:value])

then all your column will be updated using apt column-name with array of
:value, so that you previous value of column will be lost regardles.

regard,

~inung;

On 21/05/07, David F. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> > Isak
>
> Its nasty, but it might work. Thanks!
>
> --

in03ng a.k.a inung a.k.a nursamsi a.k.a nur syamsi
Y! in03ng
David F. (Guest)
on 2007-05-21 14:38
> @record.update_attribute("your_column", params[:value])

This has the same problem, both "update_attribute" and
"update_attributes" call the "save" method, which in turn, calls the
"update" method. This is whats setting the values of all the columns in
the table.
inung (Guest)
sorry david, i'm wrong getting your first message. anyway, have u ever
try
using attr_accessible? n00b here, just trying to help...:D

regards,

~inung;

On 21/05/07, David F. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

in03ng a.k.a inung a.k.a nursamsi a.k.a nur syamsi
Y! in03ng
David F. (Guest)
on 2007-05-21 15:04
Yes, both attr_protected and attr_accessible only allow/prevent values
being assigned at the Rails level, the underlying SQL UPDATE that is
executed is still updating the values of all the columns.

Thanks anyway for trying!
Jack C. (Guest)
David F. wrote:
> still assign a value to this column.
>
> Even though its unlikely, if the separate process updates the record in
> the time betweent the find, and the update, then the new value will be
> lost. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?
>
> p.s. attr_protected doesn't help me

Check out optimistic locking.

--
Jack C.