Forum: Ruby why no MatchData#match ?

Martin DeMello (Guest)
I use MatchData infrequently enough that I keep being thrown by the
lack of a #match method, to go along with #pre_match and #post_match.
#[0] simply isn't as self-documenting.

martin
Robert K. (Guest)
On 20.05.2007 16:16, Martin DeMello wrote:
> I use MatchData infrequently enough that I keep being thrown by the
> lack of a #match method, to go along with #pre_match and #post_match.
> #[0] simply isn't as self-documenting.

Probably because "match" sounds like the MD would be able to match again
(like Regexp.match).  If you can come up with an unambiguous name I'd
make it a RCR.

Kind regards

  robert
Wolfgang N. (Guest)
on 2007-05-20 18:56
Robert K. wrote:
> If you can come up with an unambiguous name I'd make it a RCR.

Maybe "MatchData#matched" makes sense.

irb(main):009:0> md = "Hugo is a great dancer!".match(/great/)
=> #<MatchData:0x2b35644>
irb(main):010:0> md.pre_match
=> "Hugo is a "
irb(main):011:0> md.matched
=> "great"
irb(main):012:0> md.post_match
=> " dancer!"

Wolfgang Nádasi-Donner
Trans (Guest)
On May 20, 10:40 am, Robert K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> On 20.05.2007 16:16, Martin DeMello wrote:
>
> > I use MatchData infrequently enough that I keep being thrown by the
> > lack of a #match method, to go along with #pre_match and #post_match.
> > #[0] simply isn't as self-documenting.
>
> Probably because "match" sounds like the MD would be able to match again
> (like Regexp.match).  If you can come up with an unambiguous name I'd
> make it a RCR.

Long considered this, and I've come to think it doesn't matter. In
everyday language we use "match" in multiple contexts, including verb
and noun. I think it's okay if Ruby does too.

T.