Forum: Ruby on Rails how to build report in rails

jack (Guest)
on 2007-05-16 09:48
Hi there,

  We are building web application in ruby. we want to build some
reports. I have read that ruport is the tool which helps to build
reports. but while installing ruport
 using command
  sudo gem install ruport -y

it takes too much time in installation.
i had given this comamnd since past 10 min
 what can be the problem ?

 I would appreciate if someone provide the help
BraveDave (Guest)
Jack,
I'm afraid that for all practical purposes, Ruport is simply an
illusion. I've approached their forum with pleas for help and been
reprimanded for doing so. I've scoured the web and cannot find any
training documentation, nor is this product mentioned in any Rails
books. They have no practical examples and I must assume the only
people who use this are into decyphering code.
If you do hear of a (learnable) reporting strategy I would be grateful
to hear your findings.
David
Fred L. (Guest)
Coming from the java world, my bigger problem to turn to RoR technology
was
the reporting part. Is there a real reporting solution in the RoR world?
don't think so.
I solved my problem by looking to java solutions, those I knew good,
stable
and pro.
My final solution is a bridge to a JasperReports engine. Works like a
charm.
My 2 cents.
Richard
Gregory B. (Guest)
On May 17, 7:40 am, BraveDave <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Jack,
> I'm afraid that for all practical purposes,Ruportis simply an
> illusion. I've approached their forum with pleas for help and been
> reprimanded for doing so.

Actually, you approached our mailing list with a request for a Rails
consultant
to help you with a query.  You might find such a person on our list,
but a much
better place to ask questions like that are lists that are Rails
specific.

http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-reports/browse...

Then, you decided that we were unwilling to help without asking
anything about Ruport,
and moved along to post rudely about us elsewhere

http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-reports/browse...

It's true that there isn't much Rails documentation on Ruport because
Ruport is first
and foremost a Ruby library.  We're working on some rails centric
examples, in the mean
time, there are several active record based examples distributed with
the source
that might be helpful to folks here:

http://tinyurl.com/yrlteg

There is also a basic examples page on our website, which admittedly
is brand new,
due to the recent 1.0 release:

http://rubyreports.org/examples.html

We also have a few tutorials available:

http://stonecode.svnrepository.com/ruport/trac.cgi...

Finally, you can find our (almost fully documented) API at:

http://api.rubyreports.org

Despite Dave's feelings on this, our list has actually the opposite
reputation.  We welcome people to come and ask all sorts of questions,
and we routinely help people get stuff running on Rails.   The
documentation is not quite as good as it should be, but this is
largely due to a fast moving target developed by volunteers (The same
issue as any other free software project).

We'd love to get more insight from our Rails users, and if anyone
would like to help contribute doc patches or tutorials, that'd be
great.
The list archive is also a great place to search for rails related
info on ruport.

http://list.rubyreports.org

-greg
Gregory B. (Guest)
On May 16, 1:48 am, jack <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>  what can be the problem ?
Hi Jack.  You may have hit a RubyForge hiccup.  Perhaps try the
install again?
It shouldn't take more than 30s - 1 minute, i'd expect.
Gregory B. (Guest)
On May 17, 8:41 am, "Fred L." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hi,
> Coming from the java world, my bigger problem to turn to RoR technology was
> the reporting part. Is there a real reporting solution in the RoR world? I
> don't think so.
> I solved my problem by looking to java solutions, those I knew good, stable
> and pro.
> My final solution is a bridge to a JasperReports engine. Works like a charm.

Hi Fred.  It's true Ruby has nothing comprehensive like JasperReports.
Ruport is more aiming for people who want to build custom reporting
applications from the ground up.  I've heard good things about but not
yet tried out ActiveWarehouse, I'm not sure if that would solve some
of the more rails-centric problems we're not tackling in Ruport.

I'm interested in the JasperReports bridge idea though, some folks
have expressed interest in getting that kind of integration with
Ruport, and I'm open to the idea.  Is there an open source bridge
available?  If so, I'd like to look at it and see if there are good
ways to utilize it.
dan.hatfield (Guest)
Ruport is great. I wish it was around when we first starting writing
reports.
We only have a need for PDF report, so we use Austin Z.'s
fantastic pdf library here:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-pdf/

I've been very very pleasantly suprised with the performance Austin
has squeezed out of that library...

I believe Ruport uses it and other libraries as well...
As always it depends on your needs...Ruport can handle the common
cases pretty well IMO.

If you are looking for a gui tool like crystal reports or something, I
couldn't find much a year ago. I don't like them anyway but some
people do. :)
urbanus (Guest)
> Then, you decided that we were unwilling to help without asking
> anything about Ruport,
> and moved along to post rudely about us elsewhere
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-reports/browse......

Hear hear.

BraveDave treated Goldberg similarly when he approached our community
for help, but for some reason left disappointed.  He took a swipe at
us in another thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/br...

In my observation Greg and the Ruport community are very courteous and
helpful.

Back on topic: I'm from the competition (friendly competition, I
hope).  My new project "Documatic" is a report generator that uses
OpenDocument as its format.  It's another alternative you might
consider.

http://documatic.240gl.org

Regards,
Dave Nelson
Gregory B. (Guest)
On May 17, 9:53 am, "dan.hatfield" <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Ruport is great. I wish it was around when we first starting writing
> reports.

Thanks Dan!

> We only have a need for PDF report, so we use Austin Z.'s
> fantastic pdf library here:http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-pdf/
>
> I've been very very pleasantly suprised with the performance Austin
> has squeezed out of that library...

> I believe Ruport uses it and other libraries as well...

We sure do, it's the most comprehensive pure Ruby PDF lib out there,
even with its warts.

Recently, we've been recommending that people subclass a Ruport PDF
formatter and use our pdf_writer_proxy mainly because we fix several
bugs in PDF::Writer, including the massive memory consumption issue
with Simple Tables and several other issues as well.  This also as a
side effect gives you the helpers we've added as well.

http://stonecode.svnrepository.com/ruport/trac.cgi...

We're working on patching back to PDF::Writer now.  Austin hasn't had
the time to maintain it (even though most of the patches in Ruport
were provided by him!), but he is getting a branch set up where one of
our contributors can start fixing the bugs we fix in Ruport, and
possibly bringing some of the helpers back upstream.

> As always it depends on your needs...Ruport can handle the common
> cases pretty well IMO.

Yeah, it's definitely a situation with Ruport in which you're going to
win if either

a) you have a super common report you want to build

or

b) you want to build your own reporting system from the ground up, but
want unified
support for all the supporting libs and a consistent interface

What I'm hoping is that folks will start contributing higher level
tools to ruport-util
that solve specific needs.  That package already includes invoice
support, and we're
working on things like PDF forms and possibly labels and things like
that, and I'm
hoping as people play around with Ruport and build useful things, that
they'll
be willing to patch back or at least release gem_plugins...

> If you are looking for a gui tool like crystal reports or something, I
> couldn't find much a year ago. I don't like them anyway but some
> people do. :)

As far as I know, this is still the case.  The only mature project
like this is now in
Java / JRuby and I think it has stagnated.  (DataVision)
Gregory B. (Guest)
On May 17, 10:02 am, urbanus <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Back on topic: I'm from the competition (friendly competition, I
> hope).  My new project "Documatic" is a report generator that uses
> OpenDocument as its format.  It's another alternative you might
> consider.

I've been working on the energon code trying to port it to Ruport
under the hood.  It was my original hope that tools like this would be
built using Ruport, not a part of Ruport itself.   I am definitely
going to dig around in documatic, and possibly send you some ideas and
patches if it's cleaner under the hood than I found energon to be.
This doc substitution idea seems like a great one to me...
urbanus (Guest)
Hi Greg,

> built using Ruport, not a part of Ruport itself.   I am definitely
> going to dig around in documatic, and possibly send you some ideas and

That would be most welcome, thank you very much.

> patches if it's cleaner under the hood than I found energon to be.

*Fingers collar nervously.*  The compiler code is a horror of regular
expressions, I'm afraid.  I hope that doesn't put you off.  But any
suggestions for clarification and improvement would also be welcome.

> This doc substitution idea seems like a great one to me...

I took that approach because I don't like using builder-style
solutions for visual, printable output.  It takes too much time to
fiddle everything into the right shape.  I think using a graphical
user interface (OpenOffice.org) for the visual aspects, and using code
for the data aspects is the perfect mix... at least for me.  :)

Regards,
Dave
Gregory B. (Guest)
On May 17, 10:17 am, urbanus <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> > patches if it's cleaner under the hood than I found energon to be.
>
> *Fingers collar nervously.*  The compiler code is a horror of regular
> expressions, I'm afraid.  I hope that doesn't put you off.  But any
> suggestions for clarification and improvement would also be welcome.

This might give me a good enough use case to build the Ruport plugin
I've been meaning to for JEG2's yet to be released GhostWheel packrat
parser.

I need to see how things go in the next few days, I'm trying to keep
myself away from coding for at least a little while, considering all
the work that went into Ruport 1.0.   If you don't hear from me in a
week or so, send me a mail and remind me, because I know I'll need
something like this at work soon.
Fred L. (Guest)
I'm sorry, bridge is not the correct word, interface would be more
relevant.
Actually I followed the following process :
http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowtoInteg...
Gregory B. (Guest)
On May 17, 1:10 pm, "Fred L." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I'm sorry, bridge is not the correct word, interface would be more relevant.
> Actually I followed the following process
:http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowtoInteg...

Interesting. I'll need to look a little deeper into this, though I'm
not sure at a quick glance where it'd fit into Ruport.
If anyone has any good ideas about this down the line, please come
share them on our mailing list.

-greg
Timo S. (Guest)

> Despite Dave's feelings on this, our list has actually the opposite
> reputation.  We welcome people to come and ask all sorts of questions,
> and we routinely help people get stuff running on Rails.

This is so true. I came there a few weeks ago and was completly lost
using
ruport for generating some basic pdf output in my rails application. The
list, and especially Gregory, were extremly helpful. By now I'm using
ruport
to create a few very simple pdf reports in my app.

Regards,
Timo
Neil W. (Guest)
Another option for report generation is to outsource the problem.

I've been doing a bit of work extracting records into Adobe XFDF
format using builder. This allows you to create a Form PDF in
OpenOffice (or even Acrobat if you're into buying software). You then
store the template Form PDF on a web server somewhere (Amazon S3 is as
good a place as any), and send back an XFDF file containing a web
reference to the PDF template.

On the client the web browser will launch Acrobat Reader and it will
then automatically merge the data with the template and you have your
report.

That way I can give the report layout to the designers and they can
get all arty in QuarkExpress or whatever it is they use.

The main issue is making sure that the client has Acrobat integration
set up correctly in their browsers.
Fred L. (Guest)
Another interesting alternative... but you are still stuck with the pdf
format. I like the JasperReports approach, one template ->
engine-managed
generation in multi export formats (pdf, rtf, excel, ...)
unknown (Guest)
dear sender,
i´m out of the office until may 29th.
your email will not be forwarded.