Forum: Ruby on Rails Keeping track of gems.

Tim U. (Guest)
Is there a tool to keep track of gems and the deploy them to servers?
I have lots of gems installed but I only need a subset of them on the
production machines.    It's a bit of a mess but here is the
situation.

1) I develop on windows but deploy on linux so I can't have the exact
same gem on the two different architectures.
2) It seems like with every iteration I add more gems but I have no
way to keep track of which gems are on which servers.
3) I don't want all the gems on my development server to go to all the
production servers for all the projects.

What I am looking for is a way to specify that project A needs gems
1,2,3,4 and then somehow have capistrano make sure those gems are
installed for the proper platform.

I can't be the only person with this problem, I am hoping it's already
been solved.

Thanks.
Rick O. (Guest)
On 5/15/07, Tim U. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Is there a tool to keep track of gems and the deploy them to servers?
> I have lots of gems installed but I only need a subset of them on the
> production machines.    It's a bit of a mess but here is the
> situation.

I use a custom capistrano task to keep the gems up to date on my
servers.

--
Rick O.
http://lighthouseapp.com

> I use a custom capistrano task to keep the gems up to date on my servers.

Would you mind sharing?
Rick O. (Guest)
Ben M. (Guest)
You might also check out puppet[1]... It's very helpful if you have more
than one machine to manage.

[1] http://puppet.reductivelabs.com/