Forum: Ruby on Rails better File_Column version garbage collecting?

Bryan C. (Guest)
on 2007-05-11 02:55
Hello all. I was curious if anyone has patched file-column so that when
you do multiple versions of a photo it doesn't need to use so much
memory. A 7.8 megabyte file on my server is quickly eating 350 megs of
ram. If you figure you have 5 background tasks processing files at the
same time you quickly are over a gig of RAM, which is just unacceptable
to me right now for the scale of our project.

I don't want to ditch file_column though because I like the way it works
and have it pretty deeply rooted. I am just hoping there is a way to
cleanup the memory between the versions it writes or something so at max
it uses just over 100 megs. Let me know.
Mark Reginald J. (Guest)
Bryan C. wrote:
> it uses just over 100 megs. Let me know.
Are you using the latest file_column SVN trunk, which has some calls
to run the Ruby garbage collector, or the most recent release (0.3.1)?

adam (Guest)
on 2007-05-11 20:36
Mark Reginald J. wrote:
> Bryan C. wrote:
>> it uses just over 100 megs. Let me know.
> Are you using the latest file_column SVN trunk, which has some calls
> to run the Ruby garbage collector, or the most recent release (0.3.1)?
>
> --
> We develop, watch us RoR, in numbers too big to ignore.

you may want to take a look at upload_column