Forum: Ruby How to generate HTML API doucment for ruby?

Alan (Guest)
on 2007-05-09 19:50
I googled the internet and didn't find any clear instructions I can
follow.

Now the v1.8.6 is out and the place I go for ruby document at
http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/ does not have the updated API for v1.8.6.
I wonder if I can generate the similar document locally with my ruby
installation. Can someone give me a clear instruction on how to generate
it? For example, if my ruby is installed at c:\ruby (Windows platform),
what would be the command to generate the HTML API doc for the core
classes?

Thanks,
Jano S. (Guest)
On 5/9/07, Alan <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Thanks,

1. the docs on the page you mentioned should be 1.8.6 (although the
main page still says 1.8.5)

2. you can generate them easily: go to c:\ruby\src\ruby-x.x.x\ and run
rdoc -o rdoc
(to prevent compliants about 'doc' dir already existing)

run rdoc -h for more tweaking possibilities. It's even possible that
the docs are already generated somewhere...

Jano
James B. (Guest)
Alan wrote:
> I googled the internet and didn't find any clear instructions I can
> follow.
>
> Now the v1.8.6 is out and the place I go for ruby document at
> http://www.ruby-doc.org/core/ does not have the updated API for v1.8.6.

Why do you say that?

As best I can tell, I have the 1.8.6 source docs served as the default
core API docs.

--
James B.

"Blanket statements are over-rated"
Jeremy McAnally (Guest)
1.8.5 is the current release.

--Jeremy

On 5/9/07, James B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> core API docs.
>

> --
> James B.
>
> "Blanket statements are over-rated"

--
http://www.jeremymcanally.com/

My free Ruby e-book:

My blogs:
http://www.mrneighborly.com/
http://www.rubyinpractice.com/
Alan F. (Guest)
on 2007-05-10 03:37
Thanks for the help, I've successfully generated the html doc locally
with the rDoc tool.

As pointed out, I thought the doc at ruby-doc is still 1.8.5 because its
front page didn't mention anything about 1.8.6. I am not sure how to
verify its version, as the included changelog file with my windows
installation didn't say much about the core API changes from 1.8.5 ->
1.8.6. If there is a page that details this core API change that someone
know, could you please post it here?