Forum: Ruby on Rails warning: require_gem is obsolete. Use gem instead.

karry (Guest)
Hello Friends,
This is a very common warning that everyone gets. I upgarded my gem
and rails version to gem 0.9.2 and rails1.2.3
After i changed the version i got the warning "warning: require_gem is
obsolete.  Use gem instead". so i changed all the require_gem to gem.
but after i changed it i got an error

./nxw-persistency-0.2/photo.rb:22: uninitialized constant
Crystallizer::ActiveRecord (NameError)
  from C:/Program Files/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/
custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require'
  from C:/Program Files/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/
custom_require.rb:27:in `require'

my code where i am getting an error

module Crystallizer

require 'rubygems'
gem 'activerecord'

class Photo < ActiveRecord::Base(ERROR IS ON THIS LINE)

Any kind of help will be appreciated
Thank you
DHH (Guest)
> my code where i am getting an error
>
> module Crystallizer
>
> require 'rubygems'
> gem 'activerecord'

What you want is just

   require 'activerecord'

gem is only needed if you're looking to specify a specific version of
the gem.
john (Guest)
on 2007-05-17 01:53
DHH wrote:
>> my code where i am getting an error
>>
>> module Crystallizer
>>
>> require 'rubygems'
>> gem 'activerecord'
>
> What you want is just
>
>    require 'activerecord'
>
> gem is only needed if you're looking to specify a specific version of
> the gem.

when doing just require on my windows box it fails though and says it
has no idea what your talking about.

thoughts?
Zach I. // LT3media (Guest)
What is the specific error (as opposed to 'no idea what i'm talking
about')

That could help a bit more.

Zach
Keynan P. (Guest)
on 2007-05-17 07:18
simple fix is to (useing rails 1.2.3)
generate a new directory tree and copy the new dir tree onto the old one
which should over write your base files with the new versions without
deleting your controllers/models/etc. then go into the enviroments file
and change the rails version number from 1.1.6(or what ever) to 1.2.3
then you should be good to go.

WARNING: back up your files first (your using svn right?)

hope this helps
john (Guest)
on 2007-05-17 16:30
Zach I. // LT3media wrote:
> What is the specific error (as opposed to 'no idea what i'm talking
> about')
>
> That could help a bit more.
>
> Zach

c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`gem_original_re
quire': no such file to load -- activerecord (LoadError)
        from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `re
quire'
        from estimate_dt.rb:2

and the code is

require 'rubygems'
require 'activerecord'

thanks
Todd C. (Guest)
on 2007-11-13 20:31
I had the same problem.  It was solved by adding an underscore:

require "rubygems"
require "active_record"