Forum: Ruby DTrace and Ruby

Dick D. (Guest)
Any Solaris users on the list might want to check out

  http://joyeur.com/2007/05/07/dtrace-for-ruby-is-available

(and there was much rejoicing)
John C. (Guest)
On Tue, 8 May 2007, Dick D. wrote:

> Any Solaris users on the list might want to check out
>
> http://joyeur.com/2007/05/07/dtrace-for-ruby-is-available
>
> (and there was much rejoicing)

Indeed there is...

And... And...  Aarghh! And I just turned down a Sparc
Ultra 5 solaris box because I didn't have a use for it...

Well, don't just stand there, let the other boot drop...

With all those gads of juicy data on your desk....
   * Tell us how to avoid screeds of object creation / destruction...
   * Give us some optimization tips from the dtrace fount.
   * Tell us where are the hidden bottle necks in the Interpreter..

Sigh! I wonder if I can eat humble pie and get that Ultra 5 I so
scorned back again.....

John C.                             Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
PO Box 1645 Christchurch                Email :
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
New Zealand
Scott B. (Guest)
On 5/7/07, Dick D. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Any Solaris users on the list might want to check out
>
>   http://joyeur.com/2007/05/07/dtrace-for-ruby-is-available
>
> (and there was much rejoicing)
>
> --
> Rasputin :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns
> http://number9.hellooperator.net/

We also just released a patch against 1.8.6.  We'd been using .5 in
production so worked on that first.

I'm very interested in seeing how people put this to use and would
really
like to hear any "case studies" about how DTrace has helped you solve a
problem in your code or Ruby itself.  Feel free to send any comments or
questions directly to me at scott at joyent dot com.

Thanks
-Scott