Forum: Ruby ruby programming for the web

Piett H. (Guest)

(i do not pretend to use RoR)
For a web app using a MySQL or Postgres db (and some YAML for static
cached data), hosted on a Debian machine, can i have:

- lighttpd
- fastcgi
- eruby

eruby is my question. Can i use it with lighttpd ?
The first web app is a specific content manager for the client company
needs. The need for eruby is just embed code in html. Even so, can i use
cgi's for session managment, etc ?

thank you,
Piett H.
pedro mg (Guest)
Piett H. wrote:
 > eruby is my question. Can i use it with lighttpd ?

cgi.assign = ( ".rhtml" => "/usr/local/bin/eruby" )
Brian C. (Guest)
On Mon, May 07, 2007 at 11:25:05AM +0900, pedro mg wrote:
> Piett H. wrote:
> > eruby is my question. Can i use it with lighttpd ?
>
> cgi.assign = ( ".rhtml" => "/usr/local/bin/eruby" )

Although I think that each page hit will spawn off a completely new Ruby
interpreter from scratch. This shouldn't be a problem if your
application is
only lightly used. Otherwise, you might want to consider something like
fastcgi (see ruby-fcgi in rubyforge). I'm pretty sure that lighttpd can
talk
to fastcgi processes.

Alternatively, write your application as a standalone HTTP app using
webrick
or mongrel, and then use lighttpd to proxy *.rhtml to the app.