Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails urls

Levent A. (Guest)
on 2007-05-03 13:48
Our app dynamically publishes multiple sites for multiple clients but
the urls they need are vastly different and I was wondering if rails
routes could handle them dynamically somehow

Right now we have a unique site_code for each site and the site
controllers live in a sites folder so the urls are

application.com/SITE_CODE/sites/controller/action/id

The admin interface is
application.com/admin/controller/action/id

How would we get the site urls to map to combinations like:

http://poweredby.jobsgopublic.com/employername

http://www.surreyjobs.info

http://jobs.lewisham.gov.uk

http://www.jobsgopublic.com/telegraph

http://police.jobsgopublic.com/
Rick O. (Guest)
On 5/3/07, Levent A. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> The admin interface is
> http://www.jobsgopublic.com/telegraph
>
> http://police.jobsgopublic.com/

Nope, rails doesn't handle this.  This is not a standard setup for
applications, so you'll have to write some custom code.  My publishing
system Mephisto does something similar, however.  Domains map to sites
(www.rubyonrails.org, weblog.rubyonrails.org, and prototypejs.org all
run on the same mongrel cluster).  I use a catch-all route to handle
custom paths that renders the public content.  Here's a real
simplified routes file:

# add admin routes first
map.admin 'admin', :controller => 'admin/overview', :action => 'index'

# put this at the bottom, it sends custom paths to this
controller/action
map.connect '*path', :controller => 'mephisto', :action => 'dispatch'

--
Rick O.
http://lighthouseapp.com

RSL
Levent A. (Guest)
on 2007-05-03 15:36
Russell N. wrote:
> I've managed something similar to what you're describing by using Jamis
> Buck's routing_tricks plugin [
> http://weblog.jamisbuck.org/2006/10/26/monkey-patc...].
> I'm serving up multiple sites from the same app and each site served has
> its
> own routing.
>
> RSL

cheers guys...

I'll look into the Mephisto codebase as well as Jamis B.'s post right
away...

I also found http://leflo.de/blog/2007/04/05/literal-urls-with-rails
which may be useful also...

regards
levent

ps: Rick... Thanks for Lighthouse!... it's been excellent so far...
We've been using it at work since day 1 and personally I'm glad I don't
have to look at Mantis' prehistoric interface any longer ;)
Russell N. (Guest)
That DynamicRouting link you posted looks interesting but it also seems
merely _mask_ the standard routes rather than let each site have its
own,
which Jamis' Buck does beautifully.

RSL