Forum: Ruby on Rails Development on nfs share

Fredrik (Guest)
Is there any way to end up somewhere in between the development
environment and production environment as far as  refreshing the
source on every request.
Our setup is that we work off of nfs shares which makes it extremely
slow for a page load in development since it has to pull in the whole
app on each request.
I'm used to it by now and only get a few changes in an hour :).
Just curious if there is a way to help this without running on
localhost which is not a good option for us.

Thanks,
Fredrik
Guest (Guest)
on 2007-05-01 10:54
Fred, I think you can avoid your problem by using a rtmv script joint
with a sqrtvm fixture. It's eaay. If you have any problem, just mail me.
I'll be happy to help you. I use to go out with Bill Gates' grand
daugher. Man, she was nasty. Kinda fish tacos....

Fredrik wrote:
> Is there any way to end up somewhere in between the development
> environment and production environment as far as  refreshing the
> source on every request.
> Our setup is that we work off of nfs shares which makes it extremely
> slow for a page load in development since it has to pull in the whole
> app on each request.
> I'm used to it by now and only get a few changes in an hour :).
> Just curious if there is a way to help this without running on
> localhost which is not a good option for us.
>
> Thanks,
> Fredrik
Fredrik (Guest)
lol. What? No idea what you just said, but thanks. :)

Fredrik
Ben M. (Guest)
I think Joshua was very bombed last night... or just a general troll.

Anyway, as far as I understand rails environments, they are just ruby
settings files that are loaded after the main environment.rb is loaded.

So you should be able to create something like a staging.rb environment
file and put your settings in there. Then specify -e staging when
starting mongrel (or whatever your server's equivalent is).

As for what settings go in there to achieve the effect you want...
you'll have to figure that out... or maybe someone else can help.

Fredrik (Guest)
It was kind of a long shot, I know. Just editing the development.rb is
what I was thinking but I have no idea what to change there. I still
want to refresh the controllers/views/models, but prehaps only the one
being requested, which would be nice.

Fredrik
Frederick C. (Guest)
on 2007-05-02 01:59
Fredrik wrote:
> It was kind of a long shot, I know. Just editing the development.rb is
> what I was thinking but I have no idea what to change there. I still
> want to refresh the controllers/views/models, but prehaps only the one
> being requested, which would be nice.
>
> Fredrik

in production/development/etc...rb you can set config.cache_classes =
true to control whether or not classes are cached.

Fred