Forum: Ruby Swapping characters in a string

Michael W. Ryder (Guest)
Is there any way in Ruby, short of stepping through a string character
by character, to swap two characters?  For example, if I want to replace
all of the commas with periods and periods with commas.
unknown (Guest)
In message <F5cZh.387091$removed_email_address@domain.invalid>,
"Michael W. Ryder" wri
tes:
>Is there any way in Ruby, short of stepping through a string character
>by character, to swap two characters?  For example, if I want to replace
>all of the commas with periods and periods with commas.

Shouldn't String#tr do it?

-s
Michael W. Ryder (Guest)
Peter S. wrote:
> -s

Yes that works fine.  For some reason when I saw that method I didn't
think it could swap characters.  That's what I get for not experimenting
first.  Thanks for the help.