Forum: Ruby ruby conditional operator ? :

Yaxm Y. (Guest)
in java, I can use ? : shorthand operators to ensure s is assigned to
some value.
String s = s == null ? "" : s;

Is there similar shorthand operator in Ruby?

Thanks.
Yaxm
John J. (Guest)
On Apr 28, 2007, at 5:51 PM, Yaxm Y. wrote:

> --

The same old ternary operator is in Ruby as in most languages these
days.
  ?  :
so...

conditional_statement ? true_result : false_result
Jano S. (Guest)
On 4/28/07, John J. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > Thanks.
>
> conditional_statement ? true_result : false_result

For assigning default value ||= is usually used (for non-logic values)

i.e.
@name ||= "Joe"

doesn't work for logic values (will overwrite false)
search google for ruby idioms (e.g.
http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/RubyIdioms)

Jano
John J. (Guest)
On Apr 28, 2007, at 6:23 PM, Jano S. wrote:

>> > Is there similar shorthand operator in Ruby?
>>   ?  :
> search google for ruby idioms (e.g.
> http://wiki.rubygarden.org/Ruby/page/show/RubyIdioms)
>
> Jano

of course there are many ways to set default values. The Perl slogan
applies to Ruby very well.