Forum: Ruby on Rails Youtube killer written in Ruby on rails

(Guest)
Michael K. (Guest)
This joker's been spamming the mailing list quite a bit. Since he no
doubt knows this is a list full of developers perhaps he's looking
for some help
benchmarking his site?

ab -n 100000 -c 200 http://teenwag.com/playvideo/4841

That should lend a hand. Anyone else so kind as to help him out?
Perhaps once he has his benchmark completed he can stop spamming the
list.

-Michael
http://javathehutt.blogspot.com
Andy T. (Guest)
lol.  Another good idea is to write a quick email to adsense-
removed_email_address@domain.invalid noting the site and the publisher id.
(Guest)
Dear guys
we are using this ruby on rails
please try the site out and give constructive feedback
thanks
(Guest)
sorry about any unintended mails

On Apr 26, 4:37 pm, "removed_email_address@domain.invalid"
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
(Guest)
guys please stop the site is down
Mark (Guest)
on 2007-04-27 05:16
That should you teach a lesson to stop spamming the list and private
email addresses as well. Rubyists united!

> guys please stop the site is down
El G. (Guest)
on 2007-04-27 06:20
Mark wrote:
> That should you teach a lesson to stop spamming the list and private
> email addresses as well. Rubyists united!
>
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:
>> guys please stop the site is down

On a related, but more upbeat note... does anyone have any advice on
publicizing new websites?  I'm a little stumped about how to really get
the word out.  Without knowing someone with a high traffic blog or
something I'm sort of short on ideas.  In other words... I feel for this
guy.
Andy T. (Guest)
If you're short on ideas, how are you doing on cash?  Search engines
are probably the most popular way to get a site going.

If you can't get in the rankings organically, and have a good amount
of $, pay per click works to get you some visitors.
El G. (Guest)
on 2007-04-27 07:02
Andy T. wrote:
> If you're short on ideas, how are you doing on cash?  Search engines
> are probably the most popular way to get a site going.
>
> If you can't get in the rankings organically, and have a good amount
> of $, pay per click works to get you some visitors.

Yeah, I'm looking at Google AdWords as we speak.  The site is a
reddit/digg/whatever style website, so I'm not quite sure what words I
would use....  Boy, I really didn't know that it would be this hard to
surpass the 1 user mark ;)  It's such a chicken-egg thing.  I mean, you
want to know some people actually find it interesting before you invest
too much time or money in it, but it seems that it's entirely possible
that you need to invest the money to get some interested users.  Anyone
know how digg, flickr, whatever else (reddit I can guess on... Paul
Graham)  gained its popularity?  Some of these sites just seem to appear
on the internet radar and I have no idea how.
Jodi S. (Guest)
On 26-Apr-07, at 11:02 PM, El Gato wrote:

> would use....  Boy, I really didn't know that it would be this hard to
> on the internet radar and I have no idea how.
There are a great number of ideas that you can use to promote your
service (and some bad ones as we've seen lately from mr. teenwag)

Here's a good place to start:
  http://www.robertoalamos.com/30-ways-to-promote-yo...
with-little-or-no-money

Cheers,
Jodi
General Partner
The nNovation Group inc.
www.nnovation.ca/blog
(Guest)
On Apr 26, 4:24 pm, Michael K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> -Michaelhttp://javathehutt.blogspot.com
>
> On Apr 26, 2007, at 4:14 PM, removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:
>
> >http://teenwag.com/playvideo/4841

I noted Google groups deleted all his posts, and this teenwag site is
*really* slow.

BTW, you forgot the -k keepalive switch:
ab -n 100000 -kc 200 http://teenwag.com/playvideo/4841

http://www.macgeekery.com/tips/troubleshooting/str...