Forum: Ferret Mongrel segfaults

Danny B. (Guest)
on 2007-04-26 07:28
I have seen several threads here and elsewhere about ferret and/or aaf
causing seemingly random segfaults in mongrel.  However, I didn't see in
any of these threads if a resolution was ever offered.

I am currently experiencing this problem and I am keen to get a
solution.  I appreciate any update that anyone can give me.

Best Regards,

Danny
Jens K. (Guest)
On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 05:28:17AM +0200, Danny B. wrote:
> I have seen several threads here and elsewhere about ferret and/or aaf
> causing seemingly random segfaults in mongrel.  However, I didn't see in
> any of these threads if a resolution was ever offered.
>
> I am currently experiencing this problem and I am keen to get a
> solution.  I appreciate any update that anyone can give me.

A bit more information would possibly help ;-) i.e. platform, index
size, using DRb or not, ...

Don't you get any information about where the error happened? You could
also try doing a 'killall -USR1 mongrel_rails' to let mongrel issue more
debug information.

Jens

--
Jens Krämer
webit! Gesellschaft für neue Medien mbH

Amtsgericht Dresden | HRB 15422
GF Sven Haubold, Hagen Malessa
Danny B. (Guest)
on 2007-04-26 18:00
> A bit more information would possibly help ;-) i.e. platform, index
> size, using DRb or not, ...

Platform is OS X 10.4.9, not using DRb.  This is happening in
development mode, with trivially-sized indexes.  In fact, I just
reproduced it with no index (that is, before the index had been built).
We have only one aaf model, and we do disable_ferret(:always) from a
before_save filter, and update the index manually from a cron job.  The
crash I just reproduced happened before the index had ever been updated.

> Don't you get any information about where the error happened? You could
> also try doing a 'killall -USR1 mongrel_rails' to let mongrel issue more
> debug information.

Thanks, didn't realize I could do that.  Here is what I get on stderr-

-----
/opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/core_ext/module/inclusion.rb:4:
[BUG] Bus Error
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [powerpc-darwin8.6.0]
-----

Doesn't seem like there's much there.

Best Regards,

Danny
Jens K. (Guest)
On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 04:00:38PM +0200, Danny B. wrote:

> ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [powerpc-darwin8.6.0]
> -----

Strange. And that did happen without doing a search or update?

You could checkout the Ferret source and run Ferret's test suite, just
to make sure there's nothing really broken.

Jens

--
Jens Krämer
webit! Gesellschaft für neue Medien mbH
Schnorrstraße 76 | 01069 Dresden
Telefon +49 351 46766-0 | Telefax +49 351 46766-66
removed_email_address@domain.invalid | www.webit.de

Amtsgericht Dresden | HRB 15422
GF Sven Haubold, Hagen Malessa
Danny B. (Guest)
on 2007-04-26 20:30
> Strange. And that did happen without doing a search or update?

Correct.  This happened just doing a page load that had nothing to do
with search or update.

> You could checkout the Ferret source and run Ferret's test suite, just
> to make sure there's nothing really broken.

Hmmm- good idea.  I'll try it today and post here if I find anything.
In the meantime, I have seen other reports of this bug on OS x- no one
has been able to find out why this happens on OS X only?

Best Regards,

Danny