Forum: Ruby on Rails scaffold problem

Michael S. (Guest)
on 2007-04-25 00:59
I thought I was *LONG* past something like this, but I guess not.

I'm starting a new application. I created my database, one model
('testimonials' for the testimonial table), and an admin controller. To
get a starting point, I added one line:

     scaffold :testimonials

When I try to open the admin controller (localhost:3000/admin), I get
the following error:

uninitialized constant Testimonial

RAILS_ROOT: script/../config/..

This error occured while loading the following files:
   testimonial.rb

-----
All I've done is add the scaffold line. Can someone suggest what might
be wrong?

tia
---Michael
MenDAKE (Guest)
on 2007-04-25 07:04
Rails pluralization still confuses me sometimes. The scaffold object
should be singular like this:

scaffold :testimonial
Michael S. (Guest)
on 2007-04-25 19:15
MenDAKE wrote:
> Rails pluralization still confuses me sometimes. The scaffold object
> should be singular like this:
>
> scaffold :testimonial

I'd thought of that (plurals get me, too <g>). "scaffold :testimonial"
gets the same error.
MenDAKE (Guest)
on 2007-04-27 06:27
Michael S. wrote:
> MenDAKE wrote:
>> Rails pluralization still confuses me sometimes. The scaffold object
>> should be singular like this:
>>
>> scaffold :testimonial
>
> I'd thought of that (plurals get me, too <g>). "scaffold :testimonial"
> gets the same error.

Hmmm... Could it be that your database table named "testimonial" instead
of "testimonials"? Table names must be plural.
Felipe Sodré Silva (Guest)
In my case all names convetions are ok, and I am also getting the very
same
error.

The interesting thing is that if you create a static scaffold named
"testimonial" using script\generate, then the controller on which
"scaffold
:testimonial" is defined will work fine. If you destroy the static
scaffold,
the you have the same error again.

I'm also looking for help on this.

Thanks

On 4/26/07, MenDAKE <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > gets the same error.
>
> Hmmm... Could it be that your database table named "testimonial" instead
> of "testimonials"? Table names must be plural.
>
> --

Felipe Sodre S. Silva
Engenharia de Computação - Universidade Estadual de Campinas
+55 11 9604-1118
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
http://www.students.ic.unicamp.br/~ra032714
Tobes (Guest)
Has anyone made any progress on this?  I am having the same problem.

MenDAKE (Guest)
on 2007-05-07 05:29
At risk of sounding like a broken record, are you absolutely sure the
pluralization is correct in every instance? I just created exactly the
same thing and it worked perfectly fine.

1. I created a table called "testimonials". (Notice the plural.)

2. I generated a scaffold called "testimonial". (Notice there is NO
plural.)

3. I generated a controller called "admin".

4. I added the line scaffold :testimonial to the admin controller
(again, NO plural).

The above actions worked perfectly for me. I tried deviating the
pluralization in some of the above steps and I received exactly the same
error message. So if you're sure you did all of the above then I believe
I've hit the limit of my expertise in this area.