Forum: Ruby YAML symbols

Alexy K. (Guest)
YAML writes out Ruby symbols as !ruby/sym, e.g. :name => 'John'
becomes

!ruby/sym name: John

I write out megabytes of data, so I played with replacing !ruby/sym
with a simple colon:

:name: John

-- and it gets loaded back just as the !ruby/sym version!

Is there a way to instruct YAML to dump plain colon ':' instead of "!
ruby/sym "?  Is reading back my version a guaranteed behavior?

Cheers,
Alexy
Eden L. (Guest)
Weird... which version of YAML are you using?  It doesn't generate !
ruby/sym for me:

$ ruby -v -r yaml -e 'puts({:name => "John", :yaml_version =>
YAML::VERSION}.to_yaml)'
ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i486-linux]
---
:yaml_version: "0.60"
:name: John
Swanand D. (Guest)
On Apr 19, 12:28 pm, eden li <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2:20 pm, braver <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
> > -- and it gets loaded back just as the !ruby/sym version!
>
> > Is there a way to instruct YAML to dump plain colon ':' instead of "!
> > ruby/sym "?  Is reading back my version a guaranteed behavior?
>
> > Cheers,
> > Alexy

Hi!
  Same here!  It is not placing ! in my case as well. As per the
YAML.rb documentation it should.