Forum: Ruby on Rails basic question about mongrel

anakintang (Guest)
on 2007-04-19 09:23
I am new to rails and try to setup mongrel on my windows machine.

When execute "gem install mongrel" shall I choose mongrel 1.0.1(ruby) or
mongrel 1.0.1(win32)?

If I choose mongrel 1.0.1(ruby), I will get "nmake" not recognized
error.

I tried switch to mongrel 1.0.1(win32), and it installs fine and starts
fine but when I try to stop it with "mongrel_rails stop" I got
"log/mongrel.pid" not found error.

Does anyone know how to solve that?

Thanks in advance
Andrew Z (Guest)
on 2007-04-19 09:38
anakintang wrote:
> I am new to rails and try to setup mongrel on my windows machine.
>
> When execute "gem install mongrel" shall I choose mongrel 1.0.1(ruby) or
> mongrel 1.0.1(win32)?
>
> If I choose mongrel 1.0.1(ruby), I will get "nmake" not recognized
> error.
>
> I tried switch to mongrel 1.0.1(win32), and it installs fine and starts
> fine but when I try to stop it with "mongrel_rails stop" I got
> "log/mongrel.pid" not found error.
>
> Does anyone know how to solve that?
>
> Thanks in advance

I think "mongrel_rails stop" is not supposed to work in Windows. Just
CTRL-C in the command window from which you started the server to stop
it.
Yingqi T. (Guest)
on 2007-04-19 11:30
Andrew Z wrote:
> anakintang wrote:
>> I am new to rails and try to setup mongrel on my windows machine.
>>
>> When execute "gem install mongrel" shall I choose mongrel 1.0.1(ruby) or
>> mongrel 1.0.1(win32)?
>>
>> If I choose mongrel 1.0.1(ruby), I will get "nmake" not recognized
>> error.
>>
>> I tried switch to mongrel 1.0.1(win32), and it installs fine and starts
>> fine but when I try to stop it with "mongrel_rails stop" I got
>> "log/mongrel.pid" not found error.
>>
>> Does anyone know how to solve that?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>
> I think "mongrel_rails stop" is not supposed to work in Windows. Just
> CTRL-C in the command window from which you started the server to stop
> it.

I suspect so cuz I have to start another cmd window to stop the one I
used for start, which is just not neat.