Forum: GNU Radio how to modify an existing source code without recompiling th

pradeepbhat (Guest)
Hello guys,

I am trying to modify the cpp files in gnuradio-core folder but after
any
modification I have to recompile every thing in the gnuradio-core, do
you
know a faster or a better way to do this thing. also, I can't run the
code
in  the debugging mode.

Thanks,

Pradeep
When I modify a file in gnuradio-core, I type "make && sudo make
install" in the gnuradio-core directory.  It seems to go quickly.  What
command do you issue after making a change to a .cpp in gnuradio-core?

Chris
pradeepbhat (Guest)
I do the same but it seems to be achingly slow. Well I guess I would
have
keep doing that if i need to modify something.
Pradeep

Chris S. wrote:

You can just do it from the gnuradio-core/src/lib directory too, unless
you actually add a new block.

-Dan
Michael D. (Guest)
pradeepbhat wrote:
> I am trying to modify the cpp files in gnuradio-core folder but
> after any
> modification I have to recompile every thing in the gnuradio-core,
> do you
> know a faster or a better way to do this thing. also, I can't run the
> code in  the debugging mode.

If what you're doing is modifying a GR block, then I'd recommend
starting with "how to write a block", copying the source you want to
modify into the gr-howto directory structure, modifying it there, and
installing it from there.  While it doesn't get referenced in the
same manner in Python ("howto.blah" instead of "gr.blah"), (re)
compiling is very fast and it really is quite simple to move between
"howto" and "gr" in Python.  Admittedly it's been a while since I
looked at "howto", but I'm sure it will work for this case (modifying
existing gnuradio-core GR blocks).

OTOH, for modifying other GR stuff that is in .cpp, there really
isn't a good way around just using the source in gnuradio-core.  Good
luck! - MLD
Eric B. (Guest)
On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 05:41:40PM -0700, pradeepbhat wrote:

> I do the same but it seems to be achingly slow. Well I guess I would have
> keep doing that if i need to modify something.
> Pradeep

Which version of GNU Radio are you using?
svn or tarball?

If you're building from the tarballs, there's a step in the build
where it compiles gnuradio_swig_python.cc, where the working set of
the compiler is about 750MB.

In the trunk, this file has been split into 5 pieces, reducing the
compiler working set size to about 350 MB.  That change will make it
into the gnuradio 3.1 tarball whenever that's released.

How much memory does your machine have?
I suggest a minimum of 1GB.

Eric
pradeepbhat (Guest)
One machine is a AMD Athlon 1.8GHz with 512 MB RAM and another is a 2.0
GHz
CoreDuo  with 512MB RAM, I guess its time to upgrade the RAM.

Pradeep

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 07:59:10PM -0700, pradeepbhat wrote:

> One machine is a AMD Athlon 1.8GHz with 512 MB RAM and another is a 2.0 GHz
> CoreDuo  with 512MB RAM, I guess its time to upgrade the RAM.

That'll help.  I've got 2GB in all my machines.

Eric