Forum: Ruby How to build Ruby on MinGW?

Toby D. (Guest)
on 2007-04-18 00:45
Hi all,

Does anyone have a howto or instruction list on how to build Ruby 1.8.x
(preferably .6) under MinGW *with* binary extensions e.g. Zlib and
OpenSSL?

I can't find any docs/articles on that and the one from ruby-lang.org is
somewhat broken (complains of fcntl() not being implemented).

When I try to build it with a ./configure ; make ; make install, the
ruby interpreter builds fine, but zlib, openssl, etc. do not build
binaries for use with it (I have MinGW/MSYS installed already).

Any ideas? Thanks.

--
Toby DiPasquale
Toby D. (Guest)
Toby Dipasquale wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone have a howto or instruction list on how to build Ruby 1.8.x
> (preferably .6) under MinGW *with* binary extensions e.g. Zlib and
> OpenSSL?
>
> I can't find any docs/articles on that and the one from ruby-lang.org is
> somewhat broken (complains of fcntl() not being implemented).
>
> When I try to build it with a ./configure ; make ; make install, the
> ruby interpreter builds fine, but zlib, openssl, etc. do not build
> binaries for use with it (I have MinGW/MSYS installed already).
>
> Any ideas? Thanks.

I got a little farther in the build (zlib, but no openssl still) but
I've since stopped as the MinGW build of Ruby still exhibits the broken
I/O behavior described here:

I will have to use Python or Perl for this. Oh well...

--
Toby DiPasquale