Forum: GNU Radio GNU make extension corrections?

Michael D. (Guest)
Now that gr-qtgui is back, I again get the 3 "comments" when
bootstrapping from there, as well as 1 from gr-trellis (which has
been all along).  Can someone correct this (I've written before about
it), or should I enter it into Trac as a low-priority fix?  I'm sure
it's something simple, but I won't be able to get to it for at least
1.5 weeks. - MLD

% sh bootstrap
gr-qtgui/src/lib/Makefile.am:29: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU
make extension
gr-qtgui/src/lib/Makefile.am:33: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU
make extension
gr-qtgui/src/lib/Makefile.am:36: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU
make extension

gr-trellis/doc/Makefile.am:51: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make
extension
Johnathan C. (Guest)
Michael D. wrote:

> Now that gr-qtgui is back, I again get the 3 "comments" when
> bootstrapping from there, as well as 1 from gr-trellis (which has been
> all along).  Can someone correct this (I've written before about it), or
> should I enter it into Trac as a low-priority fix?  I'm sure it's
> something simple, but I won't be able to get to it for at least 1.5
> weeks. - MLD

I'll take care of these, but please enter it in Trac.

--
Johnathan C.
Corgan Enterprises LLC
On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 02:35:48PM -0400, Michael D. wrote:
> gr-qtgui/src/lib/Makefile.am:33: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU
> make extension
> gr-qtgui/src/lib/Makefile.am:36: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU
> make extension
>
> gr-trellis/doc/Makefile.am:51: `%'-style pattern rules are a GNU make
> extension

Michael,

Please enter it as a bug, and then fix at will ;)

Thanks!
Eric
Michael D. (Guest)
I noticed that in ticket:142 < http://www.gnuradio.org/trac/ticket/
142 >, which is part of the "GNU make extensions" issue of this
email, the end result is:
"   * status changed from assigned to closed.
     * resolution set to wontfix.
     GNU make has become a required tool."

I haven't changed the way I'm doing the bootstrap, and am still
getting these messages ... yet the compile still works [0] on OSX, so
in what way has "GNU make" become a required tool, or is it in the
process of?  Thanks! - MLD

[0] At least for the GNU make extension found in gr-trellis, so I
presume it also would for gr-qtgui, though I haven't gotten the
dependencies to compile just yet so I don't know this for a fact.
Johnathan C. (Guest)
Michael D. wrote:

> I haven't changed the way I'm doing the bootstrap, and am still getting
> these messages ... yet the compile still works [0] on OSX, so in what
> way has "GNU make" become a required tool, or is it in the process of?

It was decided that we would not change things to avoid using the
existing GNU Make extensions that are in gr-trellis and gr-qtgui.  So
nothing has changed in the code, only in policy :-)

--
On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 03:07:49PM -0400, Michael D. wrote:
> process of?  Thanks! - MLD
"In the process of"

I'm not sure if we'll be able to get rid of the warnings. I think
they're coming from automake, but I haven't confirmed that.

On May 1, 2007, at 3:44 PM, Eric B. wrote:
> "In the process of"

OK.  No problem.

> I'm not sure if we'll be able to get rid of the warnings. I think
> they're coming from automake, but I haven't confirmed that.

I just tried the bootstrap commands individually and, yes, it's
automake. - MLD