Forum: Rails deployment Multiple applications

M.W. M. (Guest)

I've decided to go with Nginx and mongrel clusters. The setup is very
simple and works well.

My  question is related to running multiple applications. For Nginx,
should I run one instance (one config file) and then add in virtual
hosts within that one config file? Or should I run multiple instances,
each with their own config?

For mongrel clusters... is it possible to startup a single cluster of
10, and then have 3 completely different applications that one
cluster? Are there problems with this? Is it better to have a cluster
per/application?

That's it for now!

Matt
Josh K. (Guest)
On 4/13/07, goodieboy <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> My  question is related to running multiple applications. For Nginx,
> should I run one instance (one config file) and then add in virtual
> hosts within that one config file? Or should I run multiple instances,
> each with their own config?

If you want all applications to run off a single IP/Port combo then you
need
to setup virtual hosts.

For mongrel clusters... is it possible to startup a single cluster of
> 10, and then have 3 completely different applications that one
> cluster? Are there problems with this? Is it better to have a cluster
> per/application?

Cluster is intended to be used for a single application.

--
Josh K.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
http://joshknowles.com
Chris B. (Guest)
Some of this will depend on how you are load balancing, what your front
end
network access looks like, whether you want things on different ports,
etc.
For example, if you want everyone on port 80, I'd guess you will want
one
Nginx, that then directs the requests, based on domain, path, etc. to
the
appropriate mongrel_clusters.  I would for sure run a mongrel cluster
per
application (I don't think you can do it any other way, but why would
you -
you want to shield your apps from each other).

--
Chris B.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-deploym...