Forum: Ruby on Rails How to create a plugin

Stephane (Guest)
on 2007-04-13 14:01
Hi all,

I would like to create a 'piece' of application, a poll system, and want
to make it as a plugin.

I found many information about plugins, most about mixin and extending
core, but not so much for making plugin with controllers and views.

First, Do I think the wrong way with plugin ?

Then I found the following on techno weenie:

for your model :

    models_path = File.join(directory, 'app', 'models')
    $LOAD_PATH << models_path
    Dependencies.load_paths << models_path

for the controllers it’s quite the same:

    controller_path = File.join(directory, 'app', 'controllers')
    $LOAD_PATH << controller_path
    Dependencies.load_paths << controller_path
    config.controller_paths << controller_path

And finally to include views, you should integrate in your controller:

    self.template_root = File.join(File.dirname(__FILE__), '..',
'views')

Is it a good practise ? Is it the good way to share a piece of
application?

And other questions come to my mind:

    * How standardize the way of communicate between application and
plugin ?
    * In the same topic, I have 2 parts in the plugin, one for admin and
one for front user, How should I do to easily provide a plugin knowing
every application have a different way to authorize or authenticate
users?

Please feel free to share any knowledge on these subjects :)

--
Stephane
http://www.rubynaut.net

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowToWrite...
Please refer this,,..

Regards,
Jazzzzzzzzzzzzzy.............
Stephane B. (Guest)
on 2007-04-13 15:29
Thanks for the link. I have found a lot information about how to create
plugin to extend activerecord but for this plugin I need to provide also
controllers and views ;)
Stephane B. (Guest)
on 2007-04-14 02:19
So much answers, maybe I m on the wrong way :p
Wes (Guest)
Have a look here... http://rails-engines.org/

Wes Ratcliff

On Apr 13, 5:19 pm, "Stephane B." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Stephane B. (Guest)
on 2007-04-14 15:38
Thanks, finally, I think there are 2 solutions:
- rails-engines
- appable plugin