Forum: Ruby on Rails Override destroy -- how to save it?

Dean (Guest)
I would like to override the destroy method of my AR objects with
something like this:

module Restorable

  alias_method :really_destroy, :destroy

  def destroy
    self.destroyed = Date.today
    self.save(false)
    self
  end

  def restore
    self.destroyed = nil
    self.save(false)
    self

Problem is that Restorable doesn't have a destroy method to
alias_method.  Is there a way to get this sort of functionality?  I
would like to avoid adding a new method (like delete) to save
confusion and so I don't have to go back and change my controllers.

Thanks,
--Dean
javier ramirez (Guest)
> Problem is that Restorable doesn't have a destroy method to
> alias_method.  Is there a way to get this sort of functionality?
everytime a module is included as a mix-in, the method "included" of the
module is called, and the class including the module is passed as a
parameter, so you can practice any kind of ruby dynamic black magic over
the original class, in your case an AR object. I'm pasting a small
template you can use for yor mix-in

def self.included(parent_class)
    class << parent_class
      #everything you do here will be evaluated on the parent class
content, so any method  aliasing and/or overwriting should be done here

regards,

javier ramirez

--
--------
Estamos de estreno... si necesitas llevar el control de tus gastos

http://ar-paranoid.rubyforge.org/

though I guess that doesn't give you a restore method....

Dean (Guest)
On Apr 9, 11:07 am, Ben M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> You might want to look at acts_as_paranoid:
>
> http://ar-paranoid.rubyforge.org/
>
> though I guess that doesn't give you a restore method....

Thanks for the reply.  I'll extend a_a_paranoid to include a restore
method.

Thanks also to javier.

--Dean