Forum: Ruby on Rails Flash Message after each Ajax request

Rails junkie (Guest)
I need to enable Flash message with each request in my application.
e.g. if i have  action on addFeed, after this action is executed, I
have a render :partial 'showfeed'  but i also want to enable a Flash
Message for the action 'Feed SAved'
I want to do this with every action in my application?
What would be the best way to approach this?

amy thoughts?
Francis S. (Guest)
on 2007-04-06 16:49
Rails junkie wrote:
> I need to enable Flash message with each request in my application.
> e.g. if i have  action on addFeed, after this action is executed, I
> have a render :partial 'showfeed'  but i also want to enable a Flash
> Message for the action 'Feed SAved'
> I want to do this with every action in my application?
> What would be the best way to approach this?
>
> amy thoughts?

In my app, what i did was extend JavaScriptGenerator:

                def ajax_flash_notice(message)
                    id = 'notice_wrapper'
                    html = render(:partial =>
'global/ajax_system_flash', :locals => {:message => message})
                    empty_str = ""
                    #html = render(*options_for_render)
                    record "Element.update(#{id.inspect},
#{html.inspect})"
                    record "setTimeout('Element.update(#{id.inspect},
#{empty_str.inspect})', 10000)"

                end

in controller action:

i set flash.now[:message] = 'blah blah'

in .rjs

page.ajax_flash_notice(flash[:message])

I dunno if its the best implementation but it works for me.
Rails junkie (Guest)
Thanks. i will give it a shot

On Apr 6, 5:49 am, Francis S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Rails junkie (Guest)
Hi Francis,

call me dumb but i am still trying to understand rails architecture.
Now my problem with that example you gave me to putting it togehter

Here is what I am thinking

def ajax_flash_notice will go in Application.rb

In my controller, I will simpy set Flash message

Now How does this .rjs file get called?
 this is my code

Feed.save
Flash[type]="Task saved"
render : partial "showFeed"

Now how does rjs come into picture here?

I really apreciate your time.

Thanks

railsjunkie

On Apr 6, 11:23 am, "Rails junkie" <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>