Forum: Ruby Problem with ri or me?

Dave Miller (Guest)
Hello --

I just installed Ruby a couple of days ago, and I have been going
through
tutorials, etc.  One thing I can't explain is that ri doesn't seem to
work
on my system.  I am running Ruby 1.8.6 on XP.  I am trying to run ri
through
irb 0.9.5.  (Both things are what I got when I did the simple install a
few
days ago.)

If I enter ri, I get something like "undefined method `ri' for
main:Object
from (irb):4"

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Dave Miller
Chris S. (Guest)
On Apr 2, 11:14 pm, "Dave Miller" <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dave Miller

You run ri from the command line, not from within irb.

Welcome to Ruby.

Chris
John J. (Guest)
ri is a command line tool.

I had the same confusion when I first got started!

In irb, you can type the object_name.methods
dot methods will give you a list of methods for the object.
This is a good thing to keep in mind. It's one example of why irb is
so useful. Rather than combing through documentation all the time,
you can ask the object directly!
Rich M. (Guest)
You might give this a try:

  http://freshmeat.net/projects/wirble/